The Postdoctoral Fellows will participate in a major externally funded organizational initiative to understand the characteristics and potential health and environmental impacts of building materials. The Postdoctoral Fellows will conduct synthetic research and analysis, while also contributing to the development and documentation of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green building rating system.
The Postdoctoral Fellows will work under the supervision of the Vice President, Research, with input and direction from Senior Research Fellows, and close coordination with LEED Department technical staff.
The position provide up to 2-years of support. Compensation ranges from $55,000 to no more than $85,000 per year based on qualifications.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:The Postdoctoral Fellows will work with USGBC staff and Senior Research Fellows to:
- Design and carry out targeted research related to building materials selection, evaluation, and/or data analysis. Research methods will emphasize literature review, synthesis, meta-analysis, and data analytics
- Provide technical input the design and documentation of the LEED version 4 rating system
- Contribute to technical communications, including social media, white papers, reports, and peer-reviewed publications
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:The Postdoctoral Fellows should have:
- A recent Ph.D. (strongly preferred); relevant graduate degree plus experience considered
- Demonstrated experience conducting scientific and technical research, and;
- Strong writing, communications, and organization skills
- Familiarity with green building practices and rating programs
- Experience working in fast-paced, interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated success working independently, prioritizing tasks, and completing work on schedule
- A positive “can do” attitude
MATERIALS SCIENCE EMPHASISGoal: Advance the understanding and application of information about the constituents, characteristics, and impacts of building materials. Use this information to contribute to the development of science-based guidelines, metrics, and criteria for the specification of building materials in green building rating systems.
- Completion of an advanced degree, Ph.D. preferred, in a relevant technical area, such as materials science, toxicology, health risk assessment, chemical engineering, etc
- The candidate should have a specific interest in the application of material science and toxicology concepts to the design and operation of built environments and the specification of building materials
- Familiarity with materials analysis, evaluation, and disclosure issues
- Demonstrated experience creating, reviewing, and analyzing scientific and technical literature related to materials characterization, disclosure, life cycle assessment, and health risk assessment
- Skills required to develop and describe new approaches to understanding material characteristics and developing green building guidelines
- Completion of advanced degree, Ph.D. preferred, in a relevant technical area, such materials science, computer science, information technology, or data analysis
- The candidate should have a specific interest in the applications of data and analytics to create actionable information about the health and environmental attributes for building materials
- Familiarity with concepts and approaches to large-scale, web-based data integration and analysis
- Demonstrated creating, reviewing, and analyzing scientific and technical literature related to data integration, ideally related to material and product specification (e.g., supply chains)
- Skills required to envision and prototype novel approaches information architecture, data management and analytics
INFORMATION SCIENCE EMPHASISGoal: Advance the understanding and application of information on the characteristics and use of building materials. Apply this information to design and demonstrate novel approaches to the coordination, integration, and analysis of data on the health and environmental characteristics of build materials.
How to apply
If you find a position that is a great fit with your expertise and experience, please
- Email or fax your resume and a letter of interest to our human resources department.
- Note the title of the position you are applying for and your salary requirements.
- Submit files as PDFs or Word documents.
Ways to contact HR
- Email [email protected]
- Fax 202-478-5046
- No phone calls, please