State and Local Advocacy Internship
USGBC has an opportunity for a currently-enrolled student to undertake a practical learning experience through an unpaid internship with its Advocacy team focused on state and local advocacy.
The State and Local Advocacy Intern will support USGBC’s Advocacy team and focus on producing materials for USGBC Chapter advocates that fit into the campaign approach to advocacy. Additionally, this internship will involve developing specific materials and resources that support overall state and local advocacy, including state/city Market Briefs, State Policy Win Reports, campaign data reports, and other forms of collateral that will help drive state/local advocacy.
The learning objectives of this internship include:
- Understanding green building issues in the state and local advocacy arena.
- Clearly expressing concepts of sustainability and green building advocacy.
- More fully understanding the benefits of green building and operations practices.
- Developing experience in non-profit workplace and sector.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Tracking public policies and coordinating with green building policy support, to develop a “State Win Report” and recognizing the efforts of local/state advocates
- Updating and creating Market Briefs for states and cities
- Compiling campaign metrics for reports
- Calling city and state officials to find information or answer any questions
- Supporting Advocacy Team in building an aggressive and winning advocacy operation
Education & trainings requirements/preferences
- Current enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate program of study
- Major or specialization in Environmental Studies, Politics, Government, Law, Architecture or Engineering highly preferred
- Knowledge of the LEED building rating system preferred
- Previous work experience in team/office setting preferred
- Interest in advocacy or political campaigns
- An ability to multitask and operate in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Experience in Microsoft Office products including Word, Power Point, and Excel
- Design (Photoshop/In Design/Illustrator) preferred
- HTML experience preferred
- Commitment to USGBC mission
Other required skills and qualifications
How to apply
If you find a position that is a great fit with your expertise and experience, please
- Email or fax your resume and a letter of interest to our human resources department.
- Note the title of the position you are applying for and your salary requirements.
- Submit files as PDFs or Word documents.
Ways to contact HR
- Email [email protected]
- Fax 202-478-5046
- No phone calls, please