Education and Research Committees
Our education and research committees are made up of volunteers and staff with green building and education expertise. Their perspectives, intelligence, innovation and vision enable USGBC to develop high quality educational programs and resources.
Education Events Committee
The Education Events Committee (EEC) oversees the development of all USGBC educational platform opportunities including events, conferences, and summits promoting the adoption of green design, building and operations practices. The Education Events Committee directs and advises related working groups to support USGBC’s mission and educational objectives.
- Education Events Committee Co-Chair: Lois Vitt Sale, Wight & Company
- USGBC Staff Co-Chair: Kate Hurst, USGBC
- Bahar Armaghani, University of Florida
- Mimi Diez, Architect of the Capitol
- Felipe Faria, Green Building Council Brasil
- Jackie Henke, TD Bank
- Thomas Kelly, Carrier Corp
- Pepper Smith (PWG Chair), Davis Energy Group
- Amanda Langweil, Perkins + Will
- Bob Maddox, Sterling Planet
- Christopher Schaffner, The Green Engineer, Inc.
Research Advisory Committee
The research advisory committee provides strategic guidance to the education steering committee in support of programs that advance the understanding and practice of green building through applied, question-driven research and innovation. The research advisory committee directs working groups that investigate specific issues in greater technical depth. The role and responsibilities of the research advisory committee are detailed in the committee’s purpose statement.
- Andrew Nelson, RREEF
- Ari Hoffman, Jones Lang LaSalle
- Aurora Sharrard, Green Building Alliance
- Christopher Wedding, Cherokee Investment Partners
- Gail Brager, University of California, Berkeley; Center for the Built Environment
- Gregory Dobbs, Penn State University, Architectural Engineering Department
- Hannah Granade, Advantix Systems
- Ihab Elzeyadi, University of Oregon School of Architecture and Applied Arts
- Jerry Paytas, Fourth Economy
- Marcus Tehan, Johnson Controls
- Michael Holtz, LightLouver LLC
- Peter Morris, Davis Langdon (Co-chair)
- Vivian Loftness, Carnegie Mellon University, Center for Building Performance and Diagnostics
- Yianice Hernandez, Enterprise Community Partners
- Ying Hua, Cornell University, Department of Design and Environmental Analysis
- Bill Worthen, American Institute of Architects
- Bruce Hunn, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- Kevin Powell, U.S. GSA Public Building Service
- Chris Pyke, USGBC (Co-chair)
Program Working Group
The Greenbuild Program Working Group (PWG) works under the direction of the Education Events Committee. The working group oversees the development and delivery of educational programming intended to meet the needs of attendees to the annual Greenbuild International Conference & Expo.
- Program Working Group Chair: Pepper Smith, Davis Energy Group
- Lauren Brust, Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
- Dustin Davis, Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects
- Alex Dews, Delaware Valley Green Building Council
- Miranda Gardiner, Stantec
- Chris Garvin, Terrapin Bright Green
- Myer Harrell, Weber Thompson
- Kim Ilardi, The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
- Sharon Refvem, Hawley Peterson & Snyder Architects
- Annette Stelmack, Inspirit-Llc
- Lori Tugman, JTM & Associates, Inc.
- Gregg Woodruff, Langan Engineering & Environmental Services
- Bill Worthen, Urban Fabrick, Inc.
Special Programs Working Group
The Greenbuild Special Programs Working Group oversees the development and delivery of innovative educational programs, formats, and conference features. This group is charged with the continued evolution of the Greenbuild Brand and ensuring cutting edge conference offerings. The Greenbuild Special Programs Working Group works under the direction of and in close collaboration with the Education Events Committee to support USGBC’s mission and educational objectives.
- Special Programs Working Group Chair: Nadine Gudz, Interface Inc
- Lisa Barnard, BASF
- Grace Carlson, Carlson Studio Architecture
- Barbara Fanning, Mindswing Consulting
- Marieke Lacasse, GGLO
- Ariane Laxo, HGA Architects and Engineers
- Mike Lehman, ConTech Lighting
- Rashida Mogri, Gensler
- Susan Papadakis, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
- Helen Rubinstein, Cosentini Associates
- Michael Sobkowiak, Green Building Alliance
- Sharlyn Thacker, Sharlyn Thacker, CID, ASID, LEED AP BD+C
- Silvia Themudo, Buro Happold Engineering
- Charles Vescoso, American Technical Publishers