Education and Research Committees
Our education and research committees are made up of volunteers and staff with green building and education expertise. Their perspectives, intelligence, innovation and vision enable USGBC to develop high quality educational programs and resources.
Education Steering Committee
The education steering committee provides strategic guidance for education related programs and events. The steering committee has subcommittees responsible for implementing the steering committee’s strategic vision. The role and responsibilities of the education steering committee are detailed in the committee’s charter. You can review past actions of the committee by reading the education steering committee minutes.
- Volunteer Co-Chair: Dana Kose, The Weidt Group
- USGBC Staff Co-Chair: Rachel Gutter, Director, Center for Green Schools
- At-Large Member: JC Burton, Woodline Solutions
- LEED Steering Committee Rep: Bryna Dunn, Moseley Architects
- Chapter Steering Committee Rep: Andrea Love, Payette
- At-Large Member: Laurie McMahon, Cassidy Turley
- At-Large Member.: Paul Poirier, Poirier + David Architects
- At-Large Member: Lynn N. Simon, Simon & Associates, Inc.
- At-Large Member: Joel Ann Todd, Environmental Consultant
- Education Events Committee Rep: Lois Vitt Sale, Wight & Company
- USGBC Staff Support: Julia Feder, Director, Education
Education Events Committee
The education events committee oversees the development of all USGBC education opportunities, including events, conferences, forums and summits. The education events committee reports to the education steering committee and directs working groups to support its mission. The role and responsibilities of the education events committee are detailed in the committee’s purpose statement.
- Education Events Committee Co-Chair: Lois Vitt Sale, Wight & Company
- USGBC Staff Co-Chair: Kate Hurst, USGBC
- Bob Maddox, Sterling Planet
- Jackie Henke, TD Bank
- Christopher Schaffner, The Green Engineer, Inc.
- Amanda Langweil (PWG Chair), Perkins + Will
- Bahar Armaghani, University of Florida
- Thomas Kelly, Carrier Corp
- Chris Hsieh, Trane
- Felipe Faria, Green Building Council Brasil
- Francesco Bedeschi, GBC Italia
Research Advisory Committee
The research advisory committee provides strategic guidance to the education steering committee in support of programs that advance the understanding and practice of green building through applied, question-driven research and innovation. The research advisory committee directs working groups that investigate specific issues in greater technical depth. The role and responsibilities of the research advisory committee are detailed in the committee’s purpose statement.
- Andrew Nelson, RREEF
- Ari Hoffman, Jones Lang LaSalle
- Aurora Sharrard, Green Building Alliance
- Christopher Wedding, Cherokee Investment Partners
- Gail Brager, University of California, Berkeley; Center for the Built Environment
- Gregory Dobbs, Penn State University, Architectural Engineering Department
- Hannah Granade, Advantix Systems
- Ihab Elzeyadi, University of Oregon School of Architecture and Applied Arts
- Jerry Paytas, Fourth Economy
- Marcus Tehan, Johnson Controls
- Michael Holtz, LightLouver LLC
- Peter Morris, Davis Langdon (Co-chair)
- Vivian Loftness, Carnegie Mellon University, Center for Building Performance and Diagnostics
- Yianice Hernandez, Enterprise Community Partners
- Ying Hua, Cornell University, Department of Design and Environmental Analysis
- Bill Worthen, American Institute of Architects
- Bruce Hunn, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- Kevin Powell, U.S. GSA Public Building Service
- Chris Pyke, USGBC (Co-chair)