LEED committees hold primary responsibility for the development, implementation of, and revisions to LEED rating systems. The LEED committee structure includes the LEED Steering Committee, three subcommittees of the LEED Steering Committee, and six Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) organized around credit category expertise.
LEED Steering Committee
The LEED Steering Committee (LSC) is an integrated group of volunteers and staff charged with developing and maintaining LEED as a leadership tool, preserving the integrity of the LEED rating systems, and ensuring the use of the consensus process to evolve LEED in accordance with the mission, guiding principles, and strategic plan of USGBC. A standing committee of the USGBC board of directors, the LEED steering committee is the governing body of all LEED committees. The role and responsibilities of the LEED steering committee are detailed in the committee’s charter as well as the Foundations of LEED document.
Volunteer Voting Members
- LEED Steering Committee Chair: Greg Shank, Altura Associates, Inc.
- Immediate Past Chair: Bryna Dunn, Moseley Architects
- Incoming Chair: Mark Hutchinson, Canada Green Building Council
- Chair of the Technical Committee: Mick Schwedler, Trane
- Chair of the LEED Advisory Committee: Lance Hosey, Perkins Eastman
- Chair of the Pilot Credit Committee: Sue Clark, Sweden Green Building Council
- Member At-Large: Felipe Faria, Green Building Council Brazil
- Member At-Large: Alfonso Ponce, JLL
- Member At-Large: Cristina Gamboa, Colombia Green Building Council
- Member At-Large: Shawn Jang, RCI Engineering, Inc.
Staff Voting Member
- Chief Product Officer, USGBC: Scot Horst, USGBC
Staff Nonvoting Members
- Chief of Engineering, USGBC: Brendan Owens, USGBC
- Senior Vice President, Global Service Delivery: Doug Gatlin, GBCI
- SVP, Global Market Development: Peter Templeton, USGBC
- VP, LEED Technical Development: Corey Enck, USGBC
- VP, LEED Implementation: Gretchen Sweeney, USGBC
LEED Advisory Committee
The LEED Advisory Committee is a committee of the LSC charged with advising staff and LSC on market and implementation- related issues. Its purpose is to provide expert feedback and insight on how the LEED rating system and related tools, resources, and programs affect the user experience and market uptake of LEED, toward the goals of maintaining LEED’s global leadership and providing effective and satisfying LEED customer engagement. The role and responsibilities of the LEED Advisory Committee are detailed in the committee’s purpose statement.
- Chair: Lance Hosey, Perkins Eastman
- Vice-Chair: Mark Gelfo, TLC Engineering for Architecture
- Mara Baum, HOK
- Joel Courchesne, Courchesne et Associes Inc.
- Joan Davis, Everblue
- Helee Hillman, Goby LLC
- Wing Ho, Arup
- Daniele Horton, Verdani Partners
- Doug King, King Sustainability Consulting
- Pamela Moua, Servidyne
- Warren Neilson, Environmental Building Strategies
- Steve Olson, The Compass Group
- Sara O'Mara, Choate Construction Company
- Joshua Radoff, YR&G
- Ramon Reynoso, Ernst & Young LLP
- Chris Schaffner, The Green Engineer, Inc.
- Jessica Slomka, NSF
- Berkay Somali, Altensis
- Lauren Zullo, Natural Resources Defense Council
LEED Pilot Credit Committee
The Pilot Credit Library Working Group administers the LEED Pilot Credit Library. Members appointed to the Pilot Credit Library working group are technical and subject matter experts who manage the evolution of pilot credit language based on feedback from project teams and other stakeholders. Formal pilot credit language changes are made and published on a monthly basis, as needed. More information is available here.
- Chair: Sue Clark, Sweden Green Building Council
- Vice Chair: Josh Jacobs, UL Environment, Inc.
- Maria Aguirre, Chile Green Building Council
- Jonathan Balas, Yum! Brands Inc.
- Miranda Gardiner, Stantec
- Renee Loveland, Gerding Edlen
- Heather Marquard, LLC and Paul Davis Partnership, LLP
LEED Technical Committee
The LEED Technical Committee oversees Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) and other technical working groups and recommends solutions regarding technical issues to the LEED Steering Committee. Its responsibilities include coordinating cross-category matters within LEED, reviewing LEED credits and prerequisites for technical validity and recommending improvements, and assessing LEED’s technical rigor, coherency and achievement trends through a system of performance metrics. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Chair: Mick Schwedler, Trane
- Vice Chair: Gina Bocra, NYC Department of Buildings
- SS TAG Chair: Mark Brumbaugh, Brumbaugh & Associates
- LP TAG Chair: Aaron Welch, Raimi + Associates
- WE TAG Chair: Dirk Mason, The Compass Group
- EA TAG Chair: Kevin Bright, Colby College
- MR TAG Chair: Wes Sullens, StopWaste
- EQ TAG Chair: Dwayne Fuhlhage, PROSOCO Inc.
- Building Operations & Maintenance: Dan Ackerstein, Ackerstein Sustainability
- Single Family Residential: James Brauer,US-EcoLogic
- Multi-Family Residential: Jon Jensen, MaGrann Associates
- Interdisciplinary: Peter De Mare, Honeywell International
- Interdisciplinary: Frederick Wong, Arup
LEED Technical Advisory Groups
Under the direct management of the LEED Technical Committee, Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) recommend technical solutions to rating system development and maintenance issues. The groups provide a consistent source of technical advice to LEED committees and working groups regarding credit and prerequisite improvement and supporting tool development. Technical Advisory Groups are structured to include expertise for specific technical issues: location and planning, sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources and indoor environmental quality. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Advisory Groups are detailed in their purpose statement.
Location & Planning Technical Advisory Group (LP TAG) Members
- Chair: Aaron Welch, Raimi + Associates
- Vice-Chair: Cady Seabaugh, McCormack Baron Salazar
- Jonathan Burgess, The Spinnaker Group
- Nora Daley-Peng, Alta Planning + Design
- Caroline Havey, The Green Engineer Inc.
- Melissa McMahon, ACCS – ATP – Mobility Lab
- Leslie Oberholtzer, Farr Associates
- Kevin Ramsey, BERK Consulting
- Timothy Rood, Community Design + Architecture
- Jacquelyn Renée Schneider, Merrick & Company
- Cady Seabaugh, McCormack Baron Salazar
- Hagerenesh Solomon, City of Los Angeles
- Graham Twyford-Miles, Stantec
Sustainable Sites Technical Advisory Group (SS TAG) Members
- Chair: Mark Brumbaugh, Brumbaugh & Associates
- Vice Chair: Geoffrey Katz, Stantec
- Amy Alduino, TRC Solutions
- Michael DeVuono, T&M Associates
- Joanna Kind, Eastern Research Group, Inc.
- Ronnen Levinson, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
- David Posada, GBD Architects
- Cindy Sundborg, Brightworks Sustainability
- William Swanson, Integrated Architecture
- Stefanie Young, Rushing Company
Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group (WE TAG) Members
- Chair: Dirk Mason, The Compass Group
- Vice-Chair: Warren Gorowitz, Ewing
- Scott Adams, Sustainable Integration LLC
- Melanie Bontusa, Brightworks Sustainability
- Stephen Cook, VIKA, Inc.
- Eszter Gulacsy, Mott MacDonald
- Bruce Ketrick, AWT/Guardian CSC
- Joseph Kielar, Harrell-Fish, Inc.
- Paul Knowles, Natural Systems Utilities LLC
- Cathie Lavis, Kansas State University
- Thomas Pape, Alliance for Water Efficiency
- Sarah Santner, City of Portland
- Natasha Samson, Recollective Consulting
- Robert Sedlak, Wsp Flack + Kurtz
Energy & Atmosphere Technical Advisory Group (EA TAG) Members
- Chair: Kevin Bright, Colby College
- Vice Chair: Amanda Bogner, The Energy Studio Inc.
- Kelly Adighije, Ebert & Baumann Consulting Engineers Inc.
- Lana Carmichael, Renewable Choice Energy
- Elizabeth Cassin, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- Christian Cianfrone, Morrison Hershfield
- Drury Crawley, Bentley Systems
- Gavin Gardi, G2 Consulting
- Tia Heneghan, ZIA for Buildings
- Dave Intner, Southern California Edison
- Brad Jones, Cadmus Group
- Doug King, King Sustainability
- Chris Ladner, Viridian
- Paul Meyer, WSP Flack + Kurtz
- Jason Steinbock, The Weidt Group
- Christian Taber, Big Ass Solutions
- Sarah Talkington, Austin Energy
- Paula Zimin, Steven Winter Associates
Materials & Resources Technical Advisory Group (MR TAG) Members
- Chair: Wes Sullens, StopWaste
- Vice-Chair: Frances Yang, Arup
- Dan Burgoyne, California Department of General Services
- Mikhail Davis, Interface, Inc.
- Paul Firth, UL Environment
- Heather Gadonniex, ThinkStep
- Anne Harney, Ayers Saint Gross Architects + Planners
- Fulya Kocak, Clark Construction Group
- Benjamin Meyer, DuPont Building Innovations
- Mary Ellen Mika, Steelcase Inc.
- Jordan Palmeri, Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality
- Priya Premchandran, Google
- Kirsten Ritchie, Gensler
- Lorraine Ross, L Ross Consulting Inc.
- Tony Saracino, BASF
- Alicia Silva, Revitaliza Consultores
Indoor Environmental Quality Technical Advisory Group (EQ TAG) Members
- Chair: Dwayne Fuhlhage, PROSOCO Inc.
- Vice-Chair: Dana Schneider, Jones Lang LaSalle
- Charlene Bayer, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ryan Biziorek, Arup
- Amy Costello, Armstrong World Industries
- Vinay Ghatti, The Weidt Group
- Donald Herrmann, D.C. Herrmann & Associates
- Mark Knipfer, Integrated Environmental Solutions, Ltd
- Alejandra Menchaca, Payette Associates, Inc.
- Erik Ring, LPA Inc..
- Ethan Salter, Charles M. Salter Associates, Inc.
- Dane Sanders, Clanton & Associates, Inc.
LEED Supply Chain Optimization Working Group
The Supply Chain Optimization Working Group is a working group of the LEED Steering Committee formed to explore new and innovative ideas to evolve LEED v4 MR Credit: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization—Material Ingredients. It includes members from the manufacturing, non-profit, architecture, trade and government sectors. More information is available here.
- Facilitator: Nadav Malin, BuildingGreen
- Steve Baer, PRB Connect
- Michael Banks, DuPont
- Annie Bevan, GreenCircle Certified
- William Carroll, Occidental Chemical
- James Ewell, GreenBlue
- Paul Firth, Underwriter Laboratories
- Bill Freeman, RFCI
- Heather Gadonniex, ThinkStep
- Brad Grams, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- David Green, BASF
- Martin Grohman, GAF
- Keith Lindemulder, Nucor Corporation
- Ann Mason, MA BS, American Chemistry Council
- Paula McEvoy, Perkins + Will
- Paul Murray, Shaw Industries
- Priya Premchandran, Google
- Barry Reid, Georgia-Pacific LLC
- Joseph Rinkevich, SciVera LLC
- Jane Rohde, JSR Associates, Inc
- Lorraine Ross, Intech Consulting Inc.
- Rochelle Routman, Mohawk Industries
- Rita Schenck, IERE
- Andrew Shimko, Seaman Corporation
- Alicia Silva, Revitaliza Consultores
- Richard Skorpenske, Bayer Material Science
- Wes Sullens, StopWaste
- Blandine Trouille, Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration
- Denise Van Valkenburg, Herman Miller
- Jennifer Wagner, Carbon Cure
- Howard Williams, Construction Specialties
LEED Integrative Process Working Group
The Integrative Process Working Group is a working group of the LEED Steering Committee formed to improve the practical implementation of the Integrative Process (IP) credits in the LEED v4 BD+C and ID+C rating systems, suggest improvements to these credits, and explore the viability of IP credits for the LEED v4 O+M and ND rating systems. More information is available here.
- Chair: John Boecker, 7group
- Vice Chair: Bill Reed, Integrative Design Collaborative
- Victor Canseco Sandpebble Builders, Inc.
- Theresa Lehman, Miron Construction Co.
- Alisdair McGregor, Arup
- Jessica Millman, The Agora Group
- Alfonso Ponce, Jones Lang LaSalle
- Brad Pease, Paladino
- Prasad Vaidya, zenerg
- Fabio Viero, Manens-Tifs s.p.a.
LEED Social Equity Working Group
The Social Equity Working Group is a working group of the LEED Steering Committee formed to explore ways to implement the third Guiding Principle in the USGBC 2013-2015 Strategic Plan, Foster Social Equity. In 2015, the working group will improve the practical implementation of the three social equity pilot credits by developing supporting resources and materials for the credits and supporting the credit review process, identifying and proposing alternative compliance paths for international project teams, and collating feedback from project teams in order to improve the credits. More information is available here.
- Co-Chair: Susan Kaplan, BuildingWrx
- Co-Chair: Joel Todd, Joel Ann Todd Consulting
- Brad Guy, Catholic University of America
- Shaw Hesse, Emersion Design
- Lance Hosey, Perkins Eastman
- Heather Rosenberg, Fifth Road
- Raphael Sperry, Urban Fabrick
- Daniel Whittet, AHA-Consulting Engineers
- Max Zahniser, Praxis Building Solutions, LLC