LEED committees hold primary responsibility for the development, implementation of, and revisions to LEED rating systems. The LEED committee structure includes the LEED Steering Committee, three subcommittees of the LEED Steering Committee, and six Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) organized around credit category expertise.
LEED Steering Committee
The LEED Steering Committee (LSC) is an integrated group of volunteers and staff charged with developing and maintaining LEED as a leadership tool, preserving the integrity of the LEED rating systems, and ensuring the use of the consensus process to evolve LEED in accordance with the mission, guiding principles, and strategic plan of USGBC. A standing committee of the USGBC board of directors, the LEED steering committee is the governing body of all LEED committees. The role and responsibilities of the LEED steering committee are detailed in the committee’s charter as well as the Foundations of LEED document.
Volunteer Nonvoting Members
- LEED Steering Committee Chair: Greg Shank, Altura Associates, Inc.
Volunteer Voting Members
- Chapter Steering Committee: Bryna Dunn, Moseley Architects
- LEED Market Advisory Committee: Ramon Reynoso, Ernst & Young LLP
- LEED Implementation Advisory Committee: Brenda Morawa, Integrate Environmental Solutions Ltd, BVME/IES
- Member At-Large: Felipe Faria, Green Building Council Brazil
- Member At-Large: Alfonso Ponce, Green Heads Consulting Ltd
- Member At-Large: Mark Hutchinson, Canada Green Building Council
Staff Nonvoting Members
- Chief Product Officer, USGBC: Scot Horst, USGBC
- Chief of Engineering, USGBC: Brendan Owens, USGBC
- Senior Vice President, Global Service Delivery: Doug Gatlin, USGBC
LEED Implementation Advisory Committee
The LEED Implementation Advisory Committee (IAC) counsels the LEED Steering Committee and USGBC staff on the scope, content and rigor of technical resources and tools supporting LEED programs. Its responsibilities include advising on the scope, content and rigor of LEED resources and supporting tools, including reference guide content and documentation for project certification, with the goal of maintaining LEED's integrity and providing an effective, predictable and satisfying experience for LEED users. The role and responsibilities of the LEED Implementation Advisory Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Chair: Brenda Morawa, Integrated Environmental Solutions Ltd, BVME/IES
- Bahar Armaghani, University of Florida
- Mara Baum, HOK
- Joan Davis, Everblue
- Mark Gelfo, TLC Engineering for Architecture
- Wing Ho, Arup
- Doug King, King Sustainability Consulting
- Pamela Moua, SCIenergy
- Warren Neilson, Environmental Building Strategies
- Steve Olson, The Compass Group
- Sara O'Mara, Choate Construction Company
- Chris Schaffner, The Green Engineer, LLP
- Greg Shank, Altura Associates, Inc.
- Jessica Slomka, NSF
- Berkay Somali, Altensis
LEED Market Advisory Committee
The LEED Market Advisory Committee (MAC) counsels the LEED Steering Committee and USGBC staff on market transformation aspects of LEED to ensure that LEED continues to respond to the markets. The committee applies its market experience and expertise to ensure that LEED systems are feasible, flexible and represent leadership in the market. The role and responsibilities of the Market Advisory Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Vice Chair: Raymon Reynoso, Ernst & Young LLP
- Joel Courchesne, Courchesne et Associes Inc.
- Helee Hillman, Goby LLC
- Daniele Horton, Verdani Partners
- Lance Hosey, RTKL
- Joshua Radoff, YR&G
- Marcus Sheffer, 7group
- Lauren Zullo, Natural Resources Defense Council
LEED Technical Committee
The LEED Technical Committee oversees Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) and other technical working groups and recommends solutions regarding technical issues to the LEED Steering Committee. Its responsibilities include coordinating cross-category matters within LEED, reviewing LEED credits and prerequisites for technical validity and recommending improvements, and assessing LEED’s technical rigor, coherency and achievement trends through a system of performance metrics. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Chair: Mick Schwedler, Trane
- Vice Chair: Gina Bocra, NYC Department of Buildings
- SS TAG Chair: Neal Billetdeaux, SmithGroup JJR
- LP TAG Chair: John Dalzell, Boston Redevelopment Authority, City of Boston
- WE TAG Chair: Dirk Mason, The Compass Group
- EA TAG Chair: Nathan Gauthier, EA Buildings
- MR TAG Chair: Wes Sullens, StopWaste.Org of Alameda County
- EQ TAG Chair: Michelle Halle Stern, The Green Facilitator
- Building Operations & Maintenance: Dan Ackerstein, Ackerstein Sustainability
- Single Family Residential: James Brauer,US-EcoLogic
- Multi-Family Residential: Jon Jensen, MaGrann Associates
- Interdisciplinary: Peter De Mare, Honeywell International
- Interdisciplinary: Frederick Wong, Arup
LEED Technical Advisory Groups
Under the direct management of the LEED Technical Committee, Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) recommend technical solutions to rating system development and maintenance issues. The groups provide a consistent source of technical advice to LEED committees and working groups regarding credit and prerequisite improvement and supporting tool development. Technical Advisory Groups are structured to include expertise for specific technical issues: location and planning, sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources and indoor environmental quality. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Advisory Groups are detailed in their purpose statement.
Location & Planning Technical Advisory Group (LP TAG) Members
- Chair: John Dalzell, Boston Redevelopment Authority, City of Boston
- Vice-Chair: Erin Christensen, Mithun, Inc.
- Jonathan Burgess, The Spinnaker Group
- Nora Daley-Peng, Alta Planning + Design
- David Fields, Nelson/Nygaard Consulting Associates
- Caroline Havey, The Green Engineer LLP
- Nicole Isle, Glumac
- Melissa McMahon, ACCS – ATP – Mobility Lab
- Leslie Oberholtzer, Farr Associates
- Kevin Ramsey, BERK Consulting
- Timothy Rood, Community Design + Architecture
- Jacquelyn Schneider, Aigu Consulting
- Cady Seabaugh, McCormack Baron Salazar
- Hagerenesh Solomon, City of Los Angeles
- Graham Twyford-Miles, Stantec
- Aaron Welch, Raimi + Associates
Sustainable Sites Technical Advisory Group (SS TAG) Members
- Chair: Neal Billetdeaux, SmithGroupJJR
- Vice Chair: Geoffrey Katz, Santec
- Amy Alduino, TRC Solutions
- Mark Brumbaugh, Brumbaugh & Associates
- Michael DeVuono, T&M Associates
- Rebecca Holt, Perkins + Will
- Joanna Kind, Eastern Research Group, Inc.
- Ronnen Levinson, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
- David Posada, GBD Architects
- Emma Rohmann, Halsall
- Cindy Sundborg, Brightworks Sustainability
- William Swanson, Integrated Architecture
- Stefanie Young, Rushing Company
Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group (WE TAG) Members
- Chair: Dirk Mason, The Compass Group
- Vice-Chair: Warren Gorowitz, Ewing
- Scott Adams, Sustainable Integration LLC
- Melanie Bontusa, Brightworks Sustainability
- Stephen Cook, VIKA, Inc.
- Eszter Gulacsy, Mott MacDonald
- Bruce Ketrick, AWT/Guardian CSC
- Joseph Kielar, Harrell-Fish, Inc.
- Gary Klein, Affiliated International Management, LLC
- Paul Knowles, Natural Systems Utilities LLC
- Braden Kurczak, Kansas State University
- Cathie Lavis, Kansas State University
- Thomas Pape, Alliance for Water Efficiency
- Sarah Santner, City of Portland
- Natasha Samson, Stantec
- Robert Sedlak, Wsp Flack + Kurtz
- Rob Zimmerman, Kohler Co.
Energy & Atmosphere Technical Advisory Group (EA TAG) Members
- Chair: Nathaniel Gauthier, EA Buildings
- Vice Chair: Kevin Bright, Colby College
- Kelly Adighije, Ebert & Baumann Consulting Engineers Inc.
- Amanda Bogner, The Energy Studio Inc
- Lana Carmichael, Renewable Choice Energy
- Elizabeth Cassin, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- Christian Cianfrone, Morrison Hershfield
- Drury Crawley, Bentley Systems
- Gavin Gardi, G2 Consulting
- Tia Heneghan, ZIA for Buildings
- Dave Intner, Southern California Edison
- Brad Jones, Cadmus Group
- Doug King, King Sustainability
- Chris Ladner, Viridian
- Paul Meyer, WSP Flack + Kurtz
- Jason Steinbock, The Weidt Group
- Christian Taber, Big Ass Solutions
- Sarah Talkington, Austin Energy
- Paula Zimin, Steven Winter Associates
Materials & Resources Technical Advisory Group (MR TAG) Members
- Chair: Wes Sullens, StopWaste.Org of Alameda County
- Vice-Chair: Frances Yang, Arup
- Dan Burgoyne, California Department of General Services
- Mikhail Davis, Interface, Inc.
- Paul Firth, UL Environment
- Heather Gadonniex, PE International
- Barry Giles, BuildingWise, LLC
- Anne Harney, Ayers Saint Gross Architects + Planners
- Fulya Kocak, Clark Construction Group
- Benjamin Meyer, DuPont Building Innovations
- Mary Ellen Mika, Steelcase Inc.
- Jordan Palmeri, Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality
- Priya Premchandran, Google
- Kirsten Ritchie, Gensler
- Lorraine Ross, L Ross Consulting Inc.
- Tona Saracino, BASF
- Alicia Silva, Revitaliza Consultores
Indoor Environmental Quality Technical Advisory Group (EQ TAG) Members
- Chair: Michelle Halle Stern, The Green Facilitator
- Vice-Chair: Dwayne Fuhlhage, PROSOCO Inc.
- Charlene Bayer, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ryan Biziorek, Arup
- Amy Costello, Armstrong World Industries
- Wenhao Chen, California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
- Vinay Ghatti, The Weidt Group
- Stowe Hartridge Beam, Scientific Certification Systems, Inc.
- Donald Herrmann, D.C. Herrmann & Associates
- Diego Ibarra, EA Buildings
- Mark Knipfer, Integrated Environmental Solutions, Ltd
- Matt Latchford, Lam Partners Inc.
- Alejandra Menchaca, Payette Associates, Inc.
- Erik Ring, LPA Inc..
- Ethan Salter, Charles M. Salter Associates, Inc.
- Dane Sanders, Clanton & Associates, Inc.
- Stefano Schiavon University of California, Berkeley
- Dana Schneider, Jones Lang LaSalle
LEED Pilot Credit Library Working Group
The Pilot Credit Library Working Group administers the LEED Pilot Credit Library. Members appointed to the Pilot Credit Library working group are technical and subject matter experts who manage the evolution of pilot credit language based on feedback from project teams and other stakeholders. Formal pilot credit language changes are made and published on a monthly basis, as needed.
- Maria Aguirre, Chile Green Building Council
- Jonathan Balas, Yum! Brands Inc.
- Sue Clark, Sweden Green Building Council
- Miranda Gardiner, Stantec
- Josh Jacobs, UL Environment, Inc.
- Renee Loveland, Gerding Edlen
- Heather Marquard, LLC and Paul Davis Partnership, LLP
- Kate Randolph, DNV GL
LEED Supply Chain Optimization Working Group
The Supply Chain Optimization Working Group is a working group of the LEED Steering Committee formed to explore new and innovative ideas to evolve LEED v4 MR Credit: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization—Material Ingredients. It includes members from the manufacturing, non-profit, architecture, trade and government sectors. More information is available here.
- Facilitator: Nadav Malin, BuildingGreen
- Steve Baer, PRB Connect
- Michael Banks, DuPont
- Annie Bevan, GreenCircle Certified
- William Carroll, Occidental Chemical
- James Ewell, GreenBlue
- Paul Firth, Underwriter Laboratories
- Bill Freeman, RFCI
- Heather Gadonniex, PE International
- Brad Grams, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- David Green, BASF
- Martin Grohman, GAF
- Keith Lindemulder, Nucor Corporation
- Ann Mason, MA BS, American Chemistry Council
- Paula McEvoy, Perkins + Will
- Paul Murray, Shaw Industries
- Priya Premchandran, Google
- Barry Reid, Georgia-Pacific LLC
- Joseph Rinkevich, SciVera LLC
- Jane Rohde, JSR Associates, Inc
- Lorraine Ross, Intech Consulting Inc.
- Rochelle Routman, Mohawk Industries
- Rita Schenck, IERE
- Andrew Shimko, Seaman Corporation
- Alicia Silva, Revitaliza Consultores
- Richard Skorpenske, Bayer Material Science
- Wes Sullens, StopWaste of Alameda County
- Blandine Trouille, Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration
- Denise Van Valkenburg, Herman Miller
- Jennifer Wagner, Carbon Cure
- Howard Williams, Construction Specialties