LEED committees hold primary responsibility for the development, implementation of, and revisions to LEED rating systems. The LEED committee structure includes the LEED Steering Committee, three standing committees of the LEED Steering Committee, and six Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) organized around credit category expertise.
LEED Steering Committee
The LEED Steering Committee (LSC) is an integrated group of volunteers and staff charged with developing and maintaining LEED as a leadership tool, preserving the integrity of the LEED rating systems, and ensuring the use of the consensus process to evolve LEED in accordance with the mission, guiding principles, and strategic plan of USGBC. A standing committee of the USGBC board of directors, the LEED steering committee is the governing body of all LEED committees. The role and responsibilities of the LEED steering committee are detailed in the committee’s charter as well as the Foundations of LEED document.
Volunteer Nonvoting Members
- LEED Steering Committee Chair: Joel Ann Todd, Joel Ann Todd, Environmental Consultant
Volunteer Voting Members
- LEED Steering Committee Vice-Chair: Bryna Dunn, Moseley Architects
- LEED Technical Committee Chair: Susan Kaplan, Building Wrx
- LEED Market Advisory Committee Chair: Lisa Matthiessen, Integral Group
- LEED Implementation Advisory Committee Chair: Brenda Morawa, Integrated Environmental Solutions Ltd, BVME/IES
- USGBC Education Steering Committee Rep: Lynn Simon, Thornton Tomasetti
- USGBC Chapter Steering Committee Rep: Bruce Poe, Modus Architecture Collaborative
- Member At-Large: Felipe Faria, Green Building Council Brazil
- Member At-Large: Alfonso Ponce, Deloitte Finance
Staff Nonvoting Members
- Senior Vice President, LEED: Scot Horst, USGBC
- Vice President, LEED Technical Development: Brendan Owens, USGBC
- Vice President, Market Development: Doug Gatlin, USGBC
- Representative, GBCI: Peter Templeton, GBCI
This Administrative-Management Committee (AMC) assists the LEED Steering Committee with administrative tasks, process-related decisions and approvals of selected appointments. Its responsibilities include monitoring progress of LEED steering committee working groups, reviewing and approving procedural policies, and reviewing and approving chairs of working groups that report to committees of the LEED steering committee. The role and responsibilities of the administrative-management committee are detailed in the committee’s purpose statement.
- LSC Chair: Joel Ann Todd, Joel Ann Todd
- LSC Vice Chair: Bryna Dunn, Moseley Architects
- Technical Development Committee Vice Chair: Maureen Mahle, Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
- Market Advisory Committee Vice Chair: Holley Henderson, H2 Ecodesign
- Implementation Committee Vice Chair: Adam Fransen, CBRE
LEED Implementation Advisory Committee
The LEED Implementation Advisory Committee (IAC) counsels the LEED Steering Committee and USGBC staff on the scope, content and rigor of technical resources and tools supporting LEED programs. Its responsibilities include advising on the scope, content and rigor of LEED resources and supporting tools, including reference guide content and documentation for project certification, with the goal of maintaining LEED's integrity and providing an effective, predictable and satisfying experience for LEED users. The role and responsibilities of the LEED Implementation Advisory Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Chair: Brenda Morawa, Integrated Environmental Solutions Ltd, BVME/IES
- Vice Chair: Adam Fransen, CBRE
- Mara Baum, HOK
- Joan Davis, Ehret Construction Company
- Mark Gelfo, TLC Engineering for Architecture
- Wing Ho, Arup
- Pamela Moua, SCIenergy
- Warren Neilson, Environmental Building Strategies
- Sara O'Mara, Choate Construction Company
- Brad Pease, Paladino and Co., Inc.
- Kenneth Potts, McGough
- Chris Schaffner, The Green Engineer, LLP
- Richard Schneider, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center
- Greg Shank, Altura Associates, Inc.
- Natalie Terrill, Viridian Energy & Environmental, LLC
- William Worthen, Urban Fabrick Design
- Max Zahniser, Praxis | Building Solutions, LLC
LEED Market Advisory Committee
The LEED Market Advisory Committee (MAC) counsels the LEED Steering Committee and USGBC staff on market transformation aspects of LEED to ensure that LEED continues to respond to the markets. The committee applies its market experience and expertise to ensure that LEED systems are feasible, flexible and represent leadership in the market. The role and responsibilities of the Market Advisory Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Chair: Lisa Matthiessen, Integral Group
- Vice Chair: Holley Henderson, H2 Ecodesign
- Liana Berberidou-Kallivoka, City of Austin
- Jeffrey Cole, Konstrukt
- Joel Courchesne, Courchesne et Associes Inc.
- Frank Fan, James Lang Lasalle
- Helee Hillman, Goby LLC
- Daniele Horton, Thomas Properties Group
- Lance Hosey, RTKL
- Joshua Radoff, YR&G
- Ramon Reynoso, Ernst & Young LLP
- Marcus Sheffer, 7group
- Pepper Smith, Davis Energy Group
- Lauren Zullo, Natural Resources Defense Council
LEED Technical Committee
The LEED Technical Committee oversees Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) and other technical working groups and recommends solutions regarding technical issues to the LEED Steering Committee. Its responsibilities include coordinating cross-category matters within LEED, reviewing LEED credits and prerequisites for technical validity and recommending improvements, and assessing LEED’s technical rigor, coherency and achievement trends through a system of performance metrics. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Chair: Susan Kaplan, BuildingWrx
- Vice Chair: Maureen Mahle, Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
- SS TAG Chair: Jenny Carney, YR&G
- LP TAG Chair: John Dalzell, Boston Redevelopment Authority, City of Boston
- WE TAG Chair: Neil Rosen, North Shore LIJ Health System
- EA TAG Chair: Nathan Gauthier, EA Buildings
- MR TAG Chair: Brad Guy, Catholic University of America
- EQ TAG Chair: Michelle Halle Stern, The Green Facilitator
- Building Operations & Maintenance: Sheila Sheridan, Sheridan Associates
- Single-Family Residential: Ted Bardacke, Global Green USA
- Multi-Family Residential: Jon Jensen, MaGrann Associates
- Interdisciplinary: Gina Bocra, NYC Department of Buildings
- Interdisciplinary: Peter De Mare, Honeywell International
- Interdisciplinary: Tom Scarola, Tishman Speyer
LEED Technical Advisory Groups
Under the direct management of the LEED Technical Committee, Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) recommend technical solutions to rating system development and maintenance issues. The groups provide a consistent source of technical advice to LEED committees and working groups regarding credit and prerequisite improvement and supporting tool development. Technical Advisory Groups are structured to include expertise for specific technical issues: location and planning, sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources and indoor environmental quality. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Advisory Groups are detailed in their purpose statement.
Location & Planning Technical Advisory Group (LP TAG) Members
- Chair: John Dalzell, Boston Redevelopment Authority, City of Boston
- Vice-Chair: Eric Christensen, Mithun, Inc.
- Jonathan Burgess, The Spinnaker Group
- Eliot Allen, Criterion Planners
- Andy Clarke, League of American Bicyclists
- Patrick Gough, AECOM
- Randy Hansell, Earth Advantage Institute
- Caroline Havey, The Green Engineer LLP
- Art Lomenick, Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Melissa McMahon, ACCS – ATP – Mobility Lab
- Leslie Oberholtzer, Farr Associates
- Lynn Richards, U.S. EPA / Harvard University
- Timothy Rood, Community Design + Architecture
- Hagerenesh Solomon, Global Green USA
- Aaron Welch, Raimi + Associates
- Rumanda Young, Department of Defense
Sustainable Sites Technical Advisory Group (SS TAG) Members
- Chair: Jenny Carney, YR&G
- Vice-Chair: Neal Billetdeaux, SmithGroupJJR
- James Benya, University of California, Davis
- Michael DeVuono, T&M Associates
- Nancy Joseph, The Nature Conservancy
- Geoffrey Katz, Stantec
- Joanna Kind, Eastern Research Group, Inc.
- Tom Lawrence, University of Georgia
- Ronnen Levinson, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
- David Posada, GBD Architects
- William Swanson, Integrated Architecture
- Teresa Watkins, Sustainable Horticultural Environments
Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group (WE TAG) Members
- Chair: Neil Rosen, North Shore LIJ Health Systems
- Vice-Chair: Doug Bennett, Las Vegas Valley Water District (DBA Southern Nevada Water Authority)
- Steve Benz, OLIN
- Warren Gorowitz, Ewing
- Eszter Gulacsy, Mott MacDonald
- Bruce Ketrick, AWT/Guardian CSC
- Gary Klein, Affiliated International Management, LLC
- Paul Knowles, Natural Systems Utilities LLC
- Cathie Lavis, Kansas State University
- Dirk Mason, The Compass Group
- Thomas Pape, Alliance for Water Efficiency
- Sarah Santner, City of Portland
- Robert Sedlak, Wsp Flack + Kurtz
- Rob Zimmerman, Kohler Co.
Energy & Atmosphere Technical Advisory Group (EA TAG) Members
- Chair: Nathaniel Gauthier, EA Buildings
- Vice-Chair: Jeremy Poling, Goby LLC
- Kelly Adighije, Ebert & Baumann Consulting Engineers Inc.
- Amanda Bogner, The Energy Studio Inc
- Kevin Bright, Colby College
- Elizabeth Cassin, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- Christian Cianfrone, Morrison Hershfield
- Drury Crawley, Bentley Systems
- Gavin Gardi, G2 Consulting
- Tia Heneghan, ZIA for Buildings
- Dave Intner, Southern California Edison
- Brad Jones, Cadmus Group
- Doug King, King Sustainability
- Chris Ladner, Viridian
- Paul Meyer, WSP Flack + Kurtz
- Rob Moody, Organic Think, Inc.
- Michael Rosenberg, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Jason Steinbock, The Weidt Group
- Sarah Talkington, Austin Energy
Materials & Resources Technical Advisory Group (MR TAG) Members
- Chair: Brad Guy, The Catholic University of America
- Vice-ChairAmy Costello, Armstrong World Industries
- Jim Bowyer, Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- Douglas Brown, BASF
- Dan Burgoyne, California Department of General Services
- Paul Firth, UL Environment
- Barry Giles, BuildingWise, LLC
- Fulya Kocak, Clark Construction Group
- Benjamin Meyer, DuPont Building Innovations
- Mary Ellen Mika, Steelcase Inc.
- Kirsten Ritchie, Gensler
- Lorraine Ross, L Ross Consulting Inc.
- Alicia Silva, Revitaliza Consultores
- Xhavin Sinha, CH2M HILL
- Wes Sullens, StopWaste.Org or Alamada County
- Frances Yang, Arup
Indoor Environmental Quality Technical Advisory Group (IEQ TAG) Members
- Chair: Michelle Halle Stern, The Green Facilitator
- Vice-Chair: Sahar Abbaszadeh, The Cadmus Group
- Bruce Albright, Professional Janitorial Service
- Charlene Bayer, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ryan Biziorek, Arup
- Randy Carter, Steelcase Inc.
- Wenhao Chen, California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
- Dwayne Fuhlhage, PROSOCO, Inc.
- Vinay Ghatti, The Weidt Group
- Stowe Hartridge Beam, Scientific Certification Systems, Inc.
- Mark Knipfer, Integrated Environmental Solutions, Ltd
- Alexis Kurtz, The Sextant Group
- Matt Latchford, Lam Partners Inc.
- Rik Master, USG Corporation
- Ethan Salter, Charles M. Salter Associates, Inc.
- Dana Schneider, Jones Lang LaSalle
Pilot Credit Library Working Group
The Pilot Credit Library Working Group administers the LEED Pilot Credit Library. Members appointed to the Pilot Credit Library working group are technical and subject matter experts who manage the evolution of pilot credit language based on feedback from project teams and other stakeholders. Formal pilot credit language changes are made and published on a monthly basis, as needed.
- Lindsay Baker, Mary Davidge Associates
- Cheryl Baldwin, Green Seal
- James Bogdan, PPG Industries, Inc.
- Carlie Bullock-Jones, Ecoworks Studio, LLC
- Marc Cohen, The Cadmus Group
- Paul Firth, UL Environment, Inc.
- Mick Schwedler, Trane
- Richard Young, Fisher-Nickel Inc.
Indoor Air Quality Performance Testing Working Group
The Indoor Air Quality Performance Testing Working Group was charged with developing a performance methodology for Indoor Air Quality using the Indoor Air Quality Procedure outlined in ASHRAE 62.1 as a basis. A final product of this working group was the creation of a pilot Alternative Compliance Path for the Minimum IAQ Performance prerequisite for use by project teams in the Pilot Credit Library.
- Chair: Jeremy Poling, Goby LLC
- Scott Adams, Starbucks Coffee Company
- Charlene Bayer, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Alex Dudal, activeTek Environmental
- Mark Knipfer, BVM Engineering
- Bryan Ligman, AAF International
- Molly McGuire, Taylor Engineering
- Bud Offermann, Indoor Environmental Engineering
- Charlie Seyffer, Camil Farr
- Scott Williams, Target Corporation