Board Snapshot: October 2013
The USGBC Board of Directors convened in Austin, Texas, from Oct. 23-24, 2013. Rather than an official record of the proceedings, we've summarized the highlights from the meetings. Official meeting minutes will be available online after they have been approved by the Board of Directors in December.
Board Meeting Highlights
- Discussed the 2014 USGBC Board of Directors election
- Approved three two-year appointments to the Board, effective on Jan. 1, 2014, representing the following perspectives: technology, business to consumer leader, and real estate finance and capital markets
- Elected a 2014 Chair-Elect and Treasurer
- Acknowledged the contributions of those board members whose terms end on Dec. 31, 2013
- Accepted a report from the Green Building & Human Health Working Group
- Discussed individual membership and the impact of implementing this in North America and worldwide
- Discussed activities of the Sustainable Communities Working Group since it was established by the Board in February 2013
- Discussed the ongoing Committee Assessment
- Celebrated the success of the second annual Green Apple Day of Service
- By consent agenda, approved the:
- Aug. 29 Board call minutes
- Filing of USGBC’s Restated Articles of Incorporation
- Time, date, and place of the Annual Meeting of the Members
- Revised Finance & Audit Committee Charter
- Reviewed and discussed up-to-date financials and projections through the end of the year
- Discussed the 2014 Operating Plan and Budget
- Discussed the 2013 Board and related Board training
- Approved revised Bylaws and Membership Policies and Procedures to allow for an individual membership offering. Individual membership in North America will continue to be delivered through the Chapters while USGBC (national) will deploy individual membership outside North America.
General Updates and Announcements
- Elizabeth Whalen and George Bandy, co-chairs of the Committee Assessment Working Group (CAWG) of the Executive Committee, indicated that recommendations from the assessment would be forthcoming to the Board of Directors at the end of Q1 2014. The nine-member working group of volunteer and staff leaders compiled a list of key stakeholders to invite to take an online survey as well as phone and in-person interviews. This critical information gathering would take place through the end of 2013.
Greenbuild in 2014
- In light of USGBC’s partnership with Hanley Wood, announced earlier this year, the first international Greenbuild Conferences will take place in Italy and Brazil in 2014. USGBC will partner with each host country’s Green Building Council and Hanley Wood to create content and programming.
William Jefferson Clinton Children’s Center
- Roger Limoges, vice president of organizational development, indicated that significant funds had been raised for Project Haiti since its recent renaming to the William Jefferson Clinton Children’s Center. A formal announcement would be made at Greenbuild in late November.