Happy New Year from USGBC Arizona: Plans for 2017
USGBC Arizona has plenty of green building opportunities planned for 2017.
As the incoming chair of the USGBC Arizona Market Leadership Advisory Board, I want to extend my gratitude for all the hardworking USGBC members, partners and volunteers in the state of Arizona. I have been involved with USGBC since LEED v2.0, and it is hard to believe but it has been more than 12 years since I wrote my first AP exam. I’m fortunate to currently lead a multi-disciplinary engineering team with DLR Group in Phoenix.
In both my professional and volunteer leadership roles, I enjoy watching the demand grow for efficient, healthy building design in sectors from higher education to health care to mission-critical facility projects. Arizona is a very diverse marketplace, and I’m proud to be able to work with our incredible volunteer leadership team to increase our outreach even further in 2017.
We know that green is local, and the USGBC Arizona community aims to keep sustainable, efficient design at the forefront of the conversation in the state in 2017. We will achieve this through targeting increases in our local relationships, growth in the prevalence of green building rating systems and tools and outreach to emerging markets and new sectors. Together with the rest of the USGBC communities in the West region and across the USGBC network, we’re building leaders, building markets and measuring our impact.
Here's what you can look forward to from USGBC Arizona in 2017. We will be
- Celebrating those leading the charge for green building in Arizona at our Heavy Medals awards luncheon this April and highlight stellar projects at our Case Studies and Cocktails tour series. Registration and award nominations will open for Heavy Medals soon.
- Providing quality continuing education for our community through our regular Lunch & LEED education series and Best in the West regional webinars, as well as our annual state conference, planned for Nov. 16.
- Activating the marketplace through our partnership with the 2030 District in Tucson, supporting their work through our ADVANCE benchmarking events and encouraging participation in the U.S. EPA’s National Building Competition.
- Supporting the next generation of leaders through education and hands-on activities for students and teachers at the annual Green Apple Day of Service in September. We’re also connecting with higher education and encouraging young and emerging professionals to engage in our many volunteer leadership opportunities, gaining real-world skills that are transferrable to careers in sustainability.
- Growing our outreach to new sectors, including the large residential marketplace in the state.
- Continuing to be advocates for positive policies that support LEED and green building at the state and local level.
- Giving all of you the chance to connect, share best practices and learn from each other at our GreenScene networking events.
Stay in touch with us in 2017! For more information on all of our activities and volunteer calls to action, please sign up to receive our regular USGBC Arizona communications and follow us on Twitter and Facebook. If you are not already a member of the Community, join us to receive discounts on our events. To stay on the cutting edge of the conversation, we encourage you to also update your profile on USGBC.org and sign up for USGBC’s press releases, digests, and USGBC+ member magazine.
Thank you again—your hard work and passion for USGBC’s mission is what makes this movement grow in Arizona. I look forward to what we will accomplish together in 2017.