LEED Green Rater
Green Raters provide in-the-field verification services at each and every LEED BD+C: Homes and LEED BD+C: Multifamily Midrise Project.
Green Raters play a critical part in Homes certification. With tens of thousands of registered projects, the demand for qualified Green Raters is growing every day.
Green Raters are responsible for:
- Providing on-site verification services on a LEED for Homes registered project
- Assembling the Project Submittal Package and submitting it for certification review
- Verifying that the home is designed and built to the rigorous requirements of the LEED for Homes rating system through onsite verification.
- Green Raters must be involved with the project from the design phase (prior to a preliminary rating) and throughout the construction process.
- Project teams interested in participating in the LEED for Homes program must contact a LEED for Homes Green Rater.
All Green Raters work with Homes Provider Organizations to complete the verification process for each BD+C: Homes and BD+C: Multifamily Midrise project. Providers provide quality assurance oversight for each Green Rater. Providers are local organizations authorized by GBCI based on demonstrated experience and expertise in residential green building and on-site verification.
Steps to becoming a Green Rater
Step one: Complete the Green Rater Eligibility Qualification process.
Step two: Complete the 2 part Green Rater training
Part 1: Full series of self-guided online learning modules (approximately 5 hours)
- 1.1 Becoming a LEED for Homes Green Rater
- 1.2 Green Rater Roles and Responsibilities
- 1.3 Technical Strategies for LEED for Homes
- 1.4 Multifamily and Production Home Projects
- 1.5 Green Rater Tools and Resources
Part 2: Instructor-led 2-day LEED for Homes Green Rater Workshop (2 full days)
- When you register for Green Rater Training, you are registering for both Part 1 and Part 2 of the Green Rater training. Access to Part 1 will be emailed to you once your registration is confirmed.
- Register for the training with one of the following Education Partners:
Step three: Pass the Green Rater exam
Application fee: $50 | Exam fee: $250 (per exam appointment)
Candidates may register for the exam through your USGBC.org account:
- Log into your USGBC.org account.
- Select your name or photograph at the top, right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click on Credentials.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen to register for the LEED for Homes Green Rater exam.
You will only be able to register for the exam after completing all of the eligibility requirements.
For information on GBCI's Exam refund/rescheduling policy please visit usgbc.org.
To schedule five or more candidates at one time, contact GCP@gbci.org.
Please note, that the LEED for Homes Green Rater Candidate Handbook is currently being updated, and some policies outlined may have changed. Please feel free to email GreenRater@usgbc.org with any questions.
After passing the exam
Upon passing the exam, candidates will be recognized with a Green Rater in training status.
- Establish an agreement with a LEED for Homes Provider organization. Complete the Green Rater mentorship within 24 months of passing the exam. After completing the mentorship, you will receive your LEED for Homes Green Rater certificate.
- Maintain your certificate by verifying a minimum of 2 projects per 2 years.