LEED registration close and sunset dates
Continuous improvement—it’s in our DNA and what drives LEED to evolve along with technology and the needs of the marketplace.
As new versions of the rating systems are introduced, earlier versions are phased out so that we are constantly pushing for the transformation we aspire to.
At any given point, LEED rating systems are either:
- Open for registration and certification, or
- Closed for registration, but open for certification, or
- Closed for registration and certification (sunset)
How long do you have to register or certify?
Good question, the registration close and sunset dates for all rating systems are published in the Guide to LEED Certification (for LEED v4 projects) and the LEED Certification Policy Manual (for all other versions). To make things a little easier, we also have them listed below.
|Rating system||Registration Close||Certification Sunset|
|New Construction (v2.2)||6/27/09||6/27/15|
|Core and Shell||6/27/09||6/27/15|
|Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance||6/27/09||6/27/15||v2009|
|Core and Shell||6/27/15||6/30/21|
|Retail: New Construction||6/27/15||6/30/21|
|Retail: Commercial Interiors||6/27/15||6/30/21|
|Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance||6/27/15||6/30/21||v2010|
Can these dates change?
Sometimes they do, and 99.999% of the time, the changes are in favor of project teams.
- The sunset date for projects registered under LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance v2.0 has been extended so projects now have until August 31, 2014, to either upgrade to a newer version or submit for certification. That’s an extra 90 days.
- The registration close date for all LEED 2009 rating systems has been extended to June 27, 2015. That's an extra 27 days.
If the sunset date for your chosen rating system is on the horizon, don’t panic — you have options. If your project is ready, submit for certification. You can also upgrade to a newer version that’s open for registration.
All rating systems are open for certification for a minimum of six years after the close of registration.