USGBC members approve LEED for Homes update
The final results of the LEED v2008 Homes Energy Update ballot are in with a final tally of 88% in favor of the rating system update — exceeding our goal of 66.7%.
Here's the category breakdown for the results:
- 96% approval from those in the user category
- 88% approval from those in the general interest category
- 70% approval from those in the producer category
Beginning on Oct. 1, 2014, newly registering projects will be asked to meet the new requirements. The credit library and LEED Online will be updated automatically.
This update only affects EA credit 1: Optimize Energy Performance.
- The update changes the threshold so that projects using LEED for Homes v2008 need to earn a minimum of 13 points in the Energy and Atmosphere (EA) section for climate zones (CZ) 1-5, or 9.5 points for CZ 6-8.
- Projects will need to achieve a Home Energy Rating System (HERS) score of 70 or lower, or earn the equivalent number of points in the prescriptive path.
Thanks to the volunteers and supporters that contributed to this moment. From those who helped develop the language, those who provided feedback during public comment, to the Consensus Body and everyone in between — we salute you!
Learn more about the update process in the Foundations of LEED.