USGBC Members Select 2014 Best of Building Award Recipients
The inaugural “people’s choice” awards recognize the year’s best green products, projects, organizations and individuals making an impact in green building
Washington, D.C.—(Sept.17, 2014) The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) announced today the recipients of the 2014 Best of Buildings awards, as selected by fellow USGBC members.
The Best of Building Awards celebrate the year’s best products, projects, organizations and individuals making an impact in green building. Nominees and winners were selected exclusively by the members of USGBC, a vibrant and diverse community of nearly 13,000 of the world’s leading organizations invested in sustainability.
“USGBC’s membership represents a diverse community of leaders that have made significant contributions to the advancement of green building,” said Mahesh Ramanujam, chief operating officer, USGBC. “We congratulate the winners, as these peer-chosen awards reflect new and innovative achievements that are to be commended.”
There are 30, peer-selected awardees picked for 48 individual categories in the competition. Awardees were selected based on their region, size and area of specialization and are designed to showcase the most progressive, innovative organizations in the fields of green architecture, landscape, engineering, interior design and manufacturing.
- Best Non-Profit Organization: North Shore LIJ Health System
- Best Professional Association: ASHRAE
- Best Architecture Firm – Small: The Gaines Group PLC
- Best Architecture Firm – Midsize: STUDIO DOMUS
- Best Architecture Firm – Large: Perkins + Will
- Best Landscape Architecture Firm – Small: Carlson Studio Architecture
- Best Landscape Architecture Firm – Midsize: Hord Coplan Macht
- Best Landscape Architecture Firm – Large: HOK
- Best Engineering Firm – Small: The Green Engineer, Inc.
- Best Engineering Firm – Midsize: ALPHA Energy & Environment GmbH
- Best Engineering Firm – Large: TLC Engineering for Architecture
- Best Interior Design Firm – Small: Inspirit LLC
- Best Interior Design Firm – Midsize: Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects
- Best Interior Design Firm – Large: Eppstein Uhen Architects
- Best Residential Design Firm – Midsize: Hord Coplan Macht
- Best Residential Design Firm – Large: GGLO
- Best Contractor/Builder – Small: Amerisips Homes
- Best Contractor/Builder – Midsize: Abrahamse & Company Builders
- Best Contractor/Builder – Large: C.T. Taylor Company, Inc.
- Best Commissioning Provider: WSP
- Best Planner: HOK
- Best Real Estate Service Contractor: CBRE (Global Energy & Sustainability Team)
Energy Service Provider/Utility
- Best Energy Service Provider/Utility: Xcel Energy
- Greenbuild Exhibitor of the Year: Kohler Co.
- Best Product for Water Efficiency: The original rainwater pillow by the Rainwater Collections Solutions, Inc.
- Best Product for Energy Efficiency: Essence by Big Ass Solutions
- Best Product for Green Cleaning: Bio-Amp by Chemsearch FE (NCH Corporation)
- Best Product for HVAC/Indoor Air Quality/Building Controls: Variable Refrigerant Flow Zoning Systems by Mitsubishi Electric US Cooling & Heating Division
- Best Product for Efficient Lighting: Big Ass High Bay LED by Big Ass Solutions
- Best Product for Exteriors: View Dynamic Glass by View, Inc.
- Best Product for Sustainable Construction Materials: Plexicrete Flooring System by Plexi-Chemie, Inc.
- Most Innovative New Product of the Year: Haiku with SenseME by Big Ass Solutions
- Product Manufacturer of the Year - Small to Midsize: Plexi-Chemie, Inc.
- Product Manufacturer of the Year – Large: Big Ass Solutions
Real Estate/Provider Building Portfolio
- Best Building Portfolio for Retail: Renato Miranda and Associates
- Best Building Portfolio for Commercial: Paramount Group, Inc.
- Best Building Portfolio for Residential: Renato Miranda and Associates
- Best Building Portfolio for Hotels: Renato Miranda and Associates
LEED Certified Projects
- Best Project Design for LEED BD+C: U.S. Coast Guard, Cleveland Boat Maintenance Annex/Moorings (U.S. Coast Guard, AMEC)
- Best LEED ID+C Project: STUDIO DOMUS (STUDIO DOMUS)
- Best Project Design for LEED ND: Shanghai Expo UPBA Development (EXPO SHANGHAI GROUP, Arup)
- Best LEED O+M Project: 701 Brickell (TLC Engineering for Architecture, JLL, TIAA-CREF)
- Best Regional Project: Asia Pacific: 1 Bligh, Sydney, Australia (Perkins + Will)
- Best Regional Project: Europe: Centro servizi Credito Valtellinese, Italy (Deerns)
- Best Regional Project: South America: STUDIO DOMUS, Guatemala (STUDIO DOMUS)
- Best Regional Project: Middle East: KAPSARC - Saudi Arabia (HOK)
- LEED Green Associate of the Year: Leslie R. Yager, OH, USA
- LEED AP (with Specialty) of the Year: Neil Rosen, NY, USA