USGBC releases LEED v4 ACPs for Canada
As our friendly neighbors to the north celebrate Canada Day, today we are excited to release Alternative Compliance Paths (ACPs) for LEED v4 projects in Canada. Developed by Canada GBC, these ACPs underscore LEED’s regional and local applicability by recognizing leading Canadian local standards and practices in LEED. CaGBC and its committees played a key rule in creating solutions that allow greater flexibility in LEED.
Prior to LEED v4’s release, most LEED projects in Canada used the LEED Canada rating systems, which were initially released in 2004 and adapted LEED specifically for the Canadian market. With the release of LEED v4 last November, all projects in Canada will now transition to the global LEED rating system. These ACPs mark a critical step in that adaptation process.
LEED v4 credits with ACPs for Canada
- LEED BD+C LT Credit: Sensitive land protection
- LEED BD+C: Healthcare: SS Credit: Places of respite
- LEED BD+C EA Prerequisite: Minimum energy performance
- LEED ID+C EA Prerequisite: Minimum energy performance
- LEED BD+C EA Credit: Optimize energy performance
- LEED ID+C EA Credit: Optimize energy performance
- LEED O+M MR Credit: Purchasing-Ongoing
- LEED BD+C EQ Prerequisite: Minimum indoor air quality performance
- LEED BD+C: Healthcare EQ Prerequisite: Minimum indoor air quality performance
- LEED BD+C: Homes EQ Credit: Radon-resistant construction
- LEED BD+C: Healthcare EQ Credit: Construction indoor air quality management plan
- LEED ID+C MR Credit: Interiors life-cycle impact reduction
“With the publication of the ACPs and the availability of these additional tools, the Canadian market is well positioned to adopt LEED v4 and demonstrate its continued leadership in advancing sustainable building,” said Thomas Mueller, President and CEO of the Canada Green Building Council. “LEED v4 provides access to an integrated suite of rating systems and streamlined online certification which allows practitioners to apply LEED to more building types and achieve LEED designation faster.”
In addition to the ACPs, Canada-specific guidance is being developed for many credits throughout the LEED v4 suite of rating systems. This guidance will help Canadian projects understand how to utilize local practices and standards when attempting LEED v4 prerequisites and credits.
Additionally, CaGBC identified LEED v4 regional priority credits for Canada, emphasizing local environmental priorities through added point-based incentives. Projects may find the LEED v4 RP credits for Canada through the LEED registration page.