LEED committees hold primary responsibility for the development, implementation of, and revisions to LEED rating systems. The LEED committee structure includes the LEED Steering Committee, three subcommittees of the LEED Steering Committee, and six Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) organized around credit category expertise.
LEED Steering Committee
The LEED Steering Committee (LSC) is an integrated group of volunteers and staff charged with developing and maintaining LEED as a leadership tool, preserving the integrity of the LEED rating systems, and ensuring the use of the consensus process to evolve LEED in accordance with the mission, guiding principles, and strategic plan of USGBC. A standing committee of the USGBC board of directors, the LEED steering committee is the governing body of all LEED committees. The role and responsibilities of the LEED steering committee are detailed in the committee’s charter as well as the Foundations of LEED document.
Volunteer Voting Members
- LEED Steering Committee Chair: Mark Hutchinson, Canada Green Building Council
- Immediate Past Chair:Greg Shank, Altura Associates, Inc.
- Incoming Chair: Cristina Gamboa, Colombia Green Building Council
- Chair of the Technical Committee: Mick Schwedler, Trane
- Chair of the LEED Advisory Committee: Lance Hosey, Perkins Eastman
- Chair of the Pilot Credit Committee: Sue Clark, Sweden Green Building Council
- Member At-Large: Felipe Faria, Green Building Council Brazil
- Member At-Large: Alfonso Ponce, Foster + Partners
- Member At-Large: Shawn Jang, RCI Engineering, Inc.
- Member At-Large: Jennifer Sanguinetti, University of British Columbia
- Member At-Large: TBD
Staff Voting Member
- Chief Product Officer, USGBC: Scot Horst, USGBC
Staff Nonvoting Members
- Chief of Engineering, USGBC: Brendan Owens, USGBC
- Senior Vice President, Global Service Delivery: Doug Gatlin, GBCI
- SVP, Global Market Development: Peter Templeton, USGBC
- VP, LEED Technical Development: Corey Enck, USGBC
- VP, LEED Implementation: Gretchen Sweeney, USGBC
LEED Advisory Committee
The LEED Advisory Committee is a committee of the LSC charged with advising staff and LSC on market and implementation- related issues. Its purpose is to provide expert feedback and insight on how the LEED rating system and related tools, resources, and programs affect the user experience and market uptake of LEED, toward the goals of maintaining LEED’s global leadership and providing effective and satisfying LEED customer engagement. The role and responsibilities of the LEED Advisory Committee are detailed in the committee’s purpose statement.
- Chair: Lance Hosey, Perkins Eastman
- Vice-Chair: Mark Gelfo, TLC Engineering for Architecture
- Mara Baum, HOK
- Joel Courchesne, Courchesne et Associes Inc.
- Joan Davis, Everblue
- Jonathan Flaherty, Tishman Speyer
- Helee Hillman, Goby LLC
- Wing Ho, Arup
- Daniele Horton, Verdani Partners
- Doug King, King Sustainability Consulting
- Maureen Mahle, Steven Winter Associates
- Jessica Millman, The Agora Group
- Pamela Moua, Servidyne
- Steve Olson, The Compass Group
- Sara O'Mara, Choate Construction Company
- Joshua Radoff, YR&G
- Ramon Reynoso, Ernst & Young LLP
- Chris Schaffner, The Green Engineer, Inc.
- Jessica Slomka, NSF
- Berkay Somali, Altensis
- Alicia Daniels Uhlig, GGLO
- Lauren Zullo, Natural Resources Defense Council
LEED Pilot Credit Committee
The Pilot Credit Committee administers the LEED Pilot Credit Library. Members appointed to the Pilot Credit Committee are technical and subject matter experts who manage the evolution of pilot credit language based on feedback from project teams and other stakeholders. Formal pilot credit language changes are made and published on a monthly basis, as needed. More information is available here.
- Chair: Sue Clark, Sweden Green Building Council
- Vice Chair: Josh Jacobs, UL Environment, Inc.
- Jonathan Balas, Yum! Brands Inc.
- Eren Bastanoglu, Turkeco Construction & Energy
- Mark Bessoudo, WSP Canada Inc.
- David Ferguson, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Miranda Gardiner, Stantec
- Terrell Hoagland, Jones Design Studio
- Ming Hu, American Institute of Architects
- Amanda Langweil, Perkins + Will
- Mary Ann Lazarus, MALeco, LLC
- Renee Loveland, Gerding Edlen
- Heather Marquard, LLC and Paul Davis Partnership, LLP
- Doug Mazeffa, Sherwin-Williams
- Deepak Nambiar, AECOM
- Katie Ross, DTZ
- Rishi Tirupari, Las Vegas Sands
- Kapil Upadhyaya, Kirksey Architecture
- Crystal Wu, JLL
LEED Technical Committee
The LEED Technical Committee oversees Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) and other technical working groups and recommends solutions regarding technical issues to the LEED Steering Committee. Its responsibilities include coordinating cross-category matters within LEED, reviewing LEED credits and prerequisites for technical validity and recommending improvements, and assessing LEED’s technical rigor, coherency and achievement trends through a system of performance metrics. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Committee are detailed in the committee's purpose statement.
- Chair: Mick Schwedler, Trane
- Vice Chair: Gina Bocra, NYC Department of Buildings
- SS TAG Chair: Mark Brumbaugh, Brumbaugh & Associates
- LP TAG Chair: Aaron Welch, Raimi + Associates
- WE TAG Chair: Dirk Mason, The Compass Group
- EA TAG Chair: Kevin Bright, Colby College
- MR TAG Chair: Wes Sullens, StopWaste
- EQ TAG Chair: Dwayne Fuhlhage, PROSOCO Inc.
- Building Operations & Maintenance: Dan Ackerstein, Ackerstein Sustainability
- Single Family Residential: James Brauer,US-EcoLogic
- Multi-Family Residential: Jon Jensen, MaGrann Associates
- Interdisciplinary: Peter De Mare, Honeywell International
- Interdisciplinary: Frederick Wong, Arup
LEED Technical Advisory Groups
Under the direct management of the LEED Technical Committee, Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) recommend technical solutions to rating system development and maintenance issues. The groups provide a consistent source of technical advice to LEED committees and working groups regarding credit and prerequisite improvement and supporting tool development. Technical Advisory Groups are structured to include expertise for specific technical issues: location and planning, sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources and indoor environmental quality. The role and responsibilities of the Technical Advisory Groups are detailed in their purpose statement.
Location & Planning Technical Advisory Group (LP TAG) Members
- Chair: Aaron Welch, Raimi + Associates
- Vice-Chair: Cady Seabaugh, McCormack Baron Salazar
- Jonathan Burgess, The Spinnaker Group
- Maria Celis Vergara, Hatch Mott MacDonald
- Nora Daley-Peng, Alta Planning + Design
- Lauren Fakhoury, Brightworks Sustainability
- Charalampos Giannikopoulos, DCarbon
- Caroline Havey, The Green Engineer Inc.
- Rick Liu, Montgomery County Planning
- Steven Maynard, Streetsense
- Melissa McMahon, ACCS – ATP – Mobility Lab
- Kevin Ramsey, BERK Consulting
- Timothy Rood, Community Design + Architecture
- Jacquelyn Renée Schneider, Merrick & Company
- Marilyn Specht, Integral Group
- Graham Twyford-Miles, Stantec
Sustainable Sites Technical Advisory Group (SS TAG) Members
- Chair: Mark Brumbaugh, Brumbaugh & Associates
- Vice Chair: Geoffrey Katz, Stantec
- Amy Alduino, TRC Solutions
- Stephen Cook, VIKA, Inc.
- Michael DeVuono, T&M Associates
- Julie Hendricks, Kirksey Architecture
- Joanna Kind, Eastern Research Group, Inc.
- Ronnen Levinson, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
- David Posada, GBD Architects
- Lisa Storer, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Cindy Sundborg, Brightworks Sustainability
- William Swanson, Integrated Architecture
- Stefanie Young, Rushing Company
- Chris Webb, Herrera
- Heather Whitlow, Landscape Architecture Foundation
Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group (WE TAG) Members
- Chair: Dirk Mason, The Compass Group
- Vice-Chair: Warren Gorowitz, Ewing
- Scott Adams, Sustainable Integration LLC
- Regina Arokiaraj, CPG Consultants
- Melanie Bontusa, Brightworks Sustainability
- Stephen Cook, VIKA, Inc.
- Erin Ezell, HOK
- Eszter Gulacsy, Mott MacDonald
- David Holtzclaw, Transduction Technologies
- Daniel Huard, Humann Building Solutions, LLC
- Bruce Ketrick, AWT/Guardian CSC
- Paul Knowles, Natural Systems Utilities LLC
- Cathie Lavis, Kansas State University
- Thomas Pape, Alliance for Water Efficiency
- Sarah Santner, City of Portland
- Natasha Samson, Recollective Consulting
- Robert Sedlak, Wsp Flack + Kurtz
- Rami Tarabay, SEEDS s.a.r.l.
- Aaron Wouters, Integral Group
Energy & Atmosphere Technical Advisory Group (EA TAG) Members
- Chair: Kevin Bright, Colby College
- Vice Chair: Amanda Bogner, The Energy Studio Inc.
- Barry Abramson, Servidyne, LLC
- Kelly Adighije, Ebert & Baumann Consulting Engineers Inc.
- Lana Carmichael, Renewable Choice Energy
- Elizabeth Cassin, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- Christian Cianfrone, Morrison Hershfield
- Drury Crawley, Bentley Systems
- Dave Intner, Southern California Edison
- Manus McDevitt, Sustainable Engineering Group, LLC
- Paul Meyer, WSP Flack + Kurtz
- Eddy Santosa, Callison
- Mike Schofield, Conservation Services Group
- Z Smith, Eskew + Dumez + Ripple
- Christian Taber, Big Ass Solutions
- Sarah Talkington, Austin Energy
- Ted Tiffany, Guttmann and Blaevoet Consulti
- Paula Zimin, Steven Winter Associates
Materials & Resources Technical Advisory Group (MR TAG) Members
- Chair: Wes Sullens, StopWaste
- Vice-Chair: Frances Yang, Arup
- Annie Bevan, GreenCircle Certified, LLC
- Akos Brandecker, ISG ASIA
- Dan Burgoyne, California Department of General Services
- Mikhail Davis, Interface, Inc.
- Paul Firth, UL Environment
- Heather Gadonniex, ThinkStep
- Anne Harney, Ayers Saint Gross Architects + Planners
- Dirk Kestner, Walter P. Moore
- Fulya Kocak, Clark Construction Group
- Teresa McGrath, Valspar
- Benjamin Meyer, DuPont Building Innovations
- Mary Ellen Mika, Steelcase Inc.
- Jordan Palmeri, Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality
- Kirsten Ritchie, Gensler
- Lorraine Ross, L Ross Consulting Inc.
- Tony Saracino, BASF
- Alicia Silva, Revitaliza Consultores
Indoor Environmental Quality Technical Advisory Group (EQ TAG) Members
- Chair: Dwayne Fuhlhage, PROSOCO Inc.
- Vice-Chair: Dana Schneider, Jones Lang LaSalle
- Charlene Bayer, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ryan Biziorek, Arup
- Amy Costello, Armstrong World Industries
- Gabriela Crespo, Revitaliza Consultores
- Vinay Ghatti, The Weidt Group
- Donald Herrmann, D.C. Herrmann & Associates
- Blake Jackson, Tsoi/Kobus & Associates
- Mark Knipfer, Integrated Environmental Solutions, Ltd
- Alejandra Menchaca, Payette Associates, Inc.
- Erik Ring, LPA Inc..
- Ethan Salter, Charles M. Salter Associates, Inc.
- Dane Sanders, Clanton & Associates, Inc.
- Erica Stewart, Kaiser Permanente
- Raja Tannous, Berkeley Analytical Associates, LLC
LEED Social Equity Working Group
The Social Equity Working Group is a working group of the LEED Steering Committee formed to explore ways to implement the third Guiding Principle in the USGBC 2013-2015 Strategic Plan, Foster Social Equity. In 2016, the working group will improve the practical implementation of the three social equity pilot credits by developing supporting resources and materials for the credits and supporting the credit review process, identifying and proposing alternative compliance paths for international project teams, and collating feedback from project teams in order to improve the credits. More information is available here.
- Co-Chair: Susan Kaplan, BuildingWrx
- Co-Chair: Joel Todd, Joel Ann Todd Consulting
- Brad Guy, Catholic University of America
- Shaw Hesse, Emersion Design
- Lance Hosey, Perkins Eastman
- Heather Rosenberg, Fifth Road
- Raphael Sperry, Urban Fabrick
- Daniel Whittet, AHA-Consulting Engineers
- Max Zahniser, Praxis Building Solutions, LLC