Thanks for your interest in joining a USGBC committee or working group. We are always on the lookout for candidates desiring to use their individual talents to strengthen USGBC, LEED and the green building movement as a whole. Without volunteers, this movement simply would not be possible.
Below is a current list of volunteer opportunities. Check back often for updates.
Current volunteer opportunities
All USGBC volunteers, who serve on a Committee and/or Working Group, are required to read and agree to abide by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Code of Conduct for Committee and Working Group members. This includes an acknowledgement of the Antitrust Policy, the Anti-Harassment Policy, and Policies and Procedures for Committees and Working Groups.
Call for Expression of Interest: Test Development Volunteer Opportunities
Open call for Subject Matter Experts who hold a LEED Professional Credential or Certificate to assist in the following areas.
- Item writing: meeting in which volunteers write test questions
- Item review: meeting in which volunteers review test questions
- Job Task Analysis: meeting in which volunteers help establish test specifications for each credential
- Translation verification: meeting in which volunteers validate translations of test items and supporting material
- Standard setting: meeting in which volunteers set a test's passing score
- Form review: meeting in which volunteers review a collection of questions slated to appear on the same exam
Depending on the type of event, meetings can last from 3 to 8 hours via telecommunication software to in-person meetings which can last up to 3 days.
Subject Matter Experts must be:
- Active as a LEED Green Associate, LEED AP with specialty, LEED for HOMES Green Rater, or LEED Project Reviewer (depending on the volunteer opportunity)
- Knowledgeable on the appropriate LEED content including, but not limited to, the exam references
- Able and willing to follow guidelines and be trained in exam development techniques
- Unassociated with any test preparatory organization or activity
Subject Matter Experts will be awarded 1 CE hour per hour of volunteer work for up to 50% of your total CE hours.
How to Submit an Expression of Interest with USGBC
Subject Matter Experts interested in serving in a Test Development volunteer opportunity must complete the Expression of Interest Form online. There is no deadline for submissions as this is an open call. Invitations to participate will be sent approximately eight weeks prior to the event.