To begin the commissioning process early in the design process and execute additional activities after systems performance verification is completed.
Implement, or have a contract in place to implement, the following additional commissioning process activities in addition to the requirements of EA Prerequisite 1: Fundamental Commissioning of Building Energy Systems and in accordance with the LEED Reference Guide for Green Building Design and Construction, 2009 Edition:
- Prior to the start of the construction documents phase, designate an independent commissioning authority (CxA) to lead, review, and oversee the completion of all commissioning process activities.
- The CxA must have documented commissioning authority experience in at least 2 building projects.
- The individual serving as the CxA:
- Must be independent of the work of design and construction.
- Must not be an employee of the design firm, though he or she may be contracted through them.
- Must not be an employee of, or contracted through, a contractor or construction manager holding construction contracts.
- May be a qualified employee or consultant of the owner.
- The CxA must report results, findings and recommendations directly to the owner.
- The CxA must conduct, at a minimum, 1 commissioning design review of the owner’s project requirements basis of design, and design documents prior to the midconstruction documents phase and back-check the review comments in the subsequent design submission.
- The CxA must review contractor submittals applicable to systems being commissioned for compliance with the owner’s project requirements and basis of design. This review must be concurrent with the review of the architect or engineer of record and submitted to the design team and the owner.
- The CxA or other project team members must develop a systems manual that provides future operating staff the information needed to understand and optimally operate the commissioned systems.
- The CxA or other project team members must verify that the requirements for training operating personnel and building occupants have been completed.
- The CxA must be involved in reviewing the operation of the building with operations and maintenance (O&M) staff and occupants within 10 months after substantial completion. A plan for resolving outstanding commissioning-related issues must be included.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!