To minimize building occupant exposure to potentially hazardous particulates and chemical pollutants.
Design to minimize and control the entry of pollutants into buildings and later cross-contamination of regularly occupied areas through the following strategies:
- Employ permanent entryway systems at least 10 feet long (3 meters) in the primary direction of travel to capture dirt and particulates entering the building at regularly used exterior entrances. Acceptable entryway systems include permanently installed grates, grills and slotted systems that allow for cleaning underneath.
Roll-out mats are acceptable only when maintained on a weekly basis by a contracted service organization.
Projects that do not have entryway systems cannot achieve this credit.
- Sufficiently exhaust each space where hazardous gases or chemicals may be present or used (e.g. garages, housekeeping and laundry areas and copying and printing rooms) to create negative pressure with respect to adjacent spaces when the doors to the room are closed. For each of these spaces, provide self-closing doors and deck-to-deck partitions or a hard-lid ceiling. The exhaust rate must be at least 0.50 cubic feet per minute (cfm) per square foot (0.15 cubic meters per minute per square meter), with no air recirculation. The pressure differential with the surrounding spaces must be at least 5 Pascals (Pa) (0.02 inches of water gauge) on average and 1 Pa (0.004 inches of water) at a minimum when the doors to the rooms are closed.
- In mechanically ventilated buildings, each ventilation system that supplies outdoor air shall comply with the following:
- Particle filters or air cleaning devices shall be provided to clean the outdoor air at any location prior to its introduction to occupied spaces.
- These filters or devices shall meet one of the following criteria:
- Filtration media is rated at a minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) of 13 or higher in accordance with ASHRAE Standard 52.2
- Filtration media is Class F7 or higher, as defined by CEN Standard EN 779: 2002, Particulate air filters for general ventilation, Determination of the filtration performance
- [East Asia ACP: Filtration Media]
- Filtration media has a minimum dust spot efficiency of 80% or higher and greater than 98% arrestance on a particle size of 3–10 µg.
- Clean air filtration media shall be installed in all air systems after completion of construction and prior to occupancy.
Alternative Compliance Paths (ACPs)
East Asia ACP: Filtration Media
Projects in East Asia may use filtration media classified as high efficiency (高中效过滤器) or higher as defined by Chinese standard GB/T 14295-2008 (空气过滤器).
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!