To reduce the environmental harm from materials purchased, used, and disposed of in the operations within buildings.
MR credit 2.2 - furniture
Achieve sustainable purchases of at least 40% of total purchases of furniture (by cost) during the performance period. Sustainable purchases are those that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Purchases contain at least 10% postconsumer and/or 20% postindustrial material.
- Purchases contain at least 70% material salvaged from off-site or outside the organization.
- Purchases contain at least 70% material salvaged from on-site, through an internal organization materials and equipment reuse program.
- Purchases contain at least 50% rapidly renewable material.
- Purchases contain at least 50% Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified wood.
- Purchases contain at least 50% material harvested and processed or extracted and processed within a 500 mile (800 kilometer) radius of the project. Building materials or products shipped by rail or water have been extracted, harvested or recovered, as well as manufactured within a 500 mile (800 kilometer) total travel distance of the project site using a weighted average determined through the following formula:
(Distance by rail/3) + (Distance by inland waterway/2) + (Distance by sea/15) + (Distance by all other means) ≤ 500 miles [800 kilometers].
Each furniture purchase can receive credit for each sustainable criterion met (i.e., a $100 purchase that contains both 10% postconsumer recycled content and 50% of content harvested within 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the project counts twice in the calculation, for a total of $200 of sustainable purchasing).
Durable goods must be purchased during the performance period to earn points in this credit.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!