To reduce pollution and land development impacts from automobile use.
Option 1: Preferred or discounted parking
Provide preferred parking1 for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles2 for 5% of the total vehicle parking capacity of the site. Providing a discounted parking rate is an acceptable substitute for preferred parking for low-emitting/fuel-efficient vehicles. To establish a meaningful incentive in all potential markets, the parking rate must be discounted at least 20%. The discounted rate must be available to all customers (i.e., not limited to the number of customers equal to 5% of the vehicle parking capacity), publicly posted at the entrance of the parking area and available for a minimum of 2 years.
Option 2: Alternative fuel
Install alternative-fuel fueling stations for 3% of the total vehicle parking capacity of the site. Liquid or gaseous fueling facilities must be separately ventilated or located outdoors.
Option 3: Provide vehicles
Provide low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles for 3% of Full Time Equivalent (FTE) staff measured at peak periods.
Provide preferred parking for these vehicles.
Option 4: Vehicle sharing program
Provide staff access to a low-emitting or fuel-efficient vehicle-sharing program. The following requirements must be met:
- One low-emitting or fuel-efficient vehicle must be provided per 3% of FTE staff, assuming that 1 shared vehicle can carry eight persons (i.e., 1 vehicle per 267 FTE occupants). For buildings with fewer than 267 FTE staff, at least 1 low emitting or fuel-efficient vehicle must be provided.
- A vehicle-sharing contract must be provided that has an agreement of at least two years.
- The estimated number of customers served per vehicle must be supported by documentation.
- A narrative explaining the vehicle-sharing program and its administration must be submitted.
- Parking for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles must be located in the nearest available spaces in the nearest available parking area. Provide a site plan or area map clearly highlighting the walking path from the parking area to the project site and noting the distance.
1For the purposes of this credit “preferred parking” refers to the parking spots that are closest to the main entrance of the project (exclusive of spaces designated for handicapped persons) or parking passes provided at a discounted price. To establish a meaningful incentive in all potential markets, the parking rate must be discounted at least 20%. The discounted rate must be available to all eligible customers (i.e. not limited to the number of customers equal to 5% of the vehicle parking capacity), publicly posted at the entrance of the parking area, and available for a minimum of 2 years.
2For the purposes of this credit, low-emitting vehicles are defined as vehicles that are classified as Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEV) by the California Air Resources Board. Fuel-efficient vehicles are defined as vehicles that have achieved a minimum green score of 40 on the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE) annual vehicle rating guide.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!