To encourage daily walking and bicycling and to reduce vehicle distance traveled and automobile dependence.
Construct or renovate a project such that the building’s main entrance is within a 1/2-mile (800 meter) walking distance from the building entrance of the following number of uses, as listed below.
Table 1. Points for proximity to uses
The following restrictions apply:
- A single establishment counts as only one type of use (e.g., a retail store may be counted only once even if it sells products in several categories).
- No more than half of the minimum number of uses can be in a single building (e.g., a shopping mall).
- No more than two establishments in each use type may be counted (e.g., if five restaurants are within the required distance, only two may be counted).
- The uses must represent at least two categories, exclusive of the building’s primary use.
- Uses outside the project boundary must be in place upon occupation of the project.
Uses and use categories:
Other food store with produce
Clothing store or department store selling clothes
Gym, health club, exercise studio
Laundry, dry cleaner
Restaurant, café, diner (excluding establishments with only drive-throughs)
Civic and community facilities
Adult or senior care (licensed)
Child care (licensed)
Community or recreation center
Cultural arts facility (museum, performing arts)
Educational facility (including school, university, adult education center, vocational school, community college)
Family entertainment venue (theater, sports)
Government office that serves public on-site
Place of worship
Medical clinic or office that treats patients
Police or fire station
Social services center
Adapted from Criterion Planners, INDEX neighborhood completeness indicator, 2005.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!
No sample form available for this credit.View all sample forms