To conserve resources by reducing the use of unnecessary framing materials.
Implement any of the following advanced framing techniques for at least 90% of each component.
- Implement one of the following optimum value engineering measures in exterior walls and common walls (1 point):
- Install no more than one horizontal 2x top plate on walls by aligning studs with joists and roof rafters.
- Place window and door headers in the rim joist.
- Install raised (directly beneath the top plate), single-ply headers not more than 2 inches nominal thickness in a 2x4 wall or 4 inches nominal thickness in a 2x6 wall, in accordance with International Residential Code 2012.
- Install structural insulated panels (SIPs) for walls.
- Implement any two of the following for all interior and exterior walls (0.5 point):
- Size headers for actual loads.
- Use ladder blocking or drywall clips.
- Use two-stud corners or California corners.
- Space interior wall studs greater than 16 inches o.c. (400 mm o.c.) (0.5 point).
- Space floor joists greater than 16 inches o.c. (400 mm o.c.) or SIPs (0.5 point).
- Space roof rafters greater than 16 inches o.c. (400 mm o.c.) or SIPs (0.5 point).
For renovation projects, existing components may be excluded from the calculation.
Modular, panelized, or other prefabricated wall or structural systems must comply with the requirements.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!
No sample form available for this credit.View all sample forms