Reduce occupant exposure to indoor pollutants originating from an adjacent garage.
Prerequisites (Mandatory Measures)
10.1 No HVAC in garage. Place all air-handling equipment and ductwork outside the fire-rated envelope of the garage.
Credits (Optional Measures)
10.2 Minimize pollutants from garage for mid-rise (2 Points). Tightly seal shared surfaces between garage and conditioned spaces, including all of the following:
- In conditioned spaces above the garage:
- seal all penetrations;
- seal all connecting floor and ceiling joist bays; and
- In conditioned spaces next to the garage:
- weather strip all doors;
- place carbon monoxide detectors in adjacent rooms that share a door with the garage;
- seal all penetrations; and
- seal all cracks at the base of walls.
- Include a vestibule that provides an airlock between the garage and adjacent occupiable spaces OR provide self-closing doors and deck-to-deck partitions or a hard lid ceiling.
- Exhaust Fan in Garage. Follow the requirements laid out in ASHRAE 62.1-2007. Exhaust the garage sufficiently to create negative pressure with respect to adjacent spaces with the doors to the room closed. The exhaust rate shall be at least 0.75 cfm/ ft2, with no air recirculation, provided continuously.
10.3 Detached garage or no garage (3 Points).