Minimize the leakage of combustion gases into the occupied space of the building.
2. Basic combustion venting measures. Meet all of the following requirements:
- No unvented combustion appliances (e.g. decorative logs) are allowed.
- A carbon monoxide (CO) monitor must be installed on each floor of each unit.
- All fireplaces and woodstoves must have doors.
- Space and water heating equipment that involves combustion must meet one of the following. Space heating systems in buildings located in IECC-2006 climate zone 1 or 2 are exempt.
- It must be designed and installed with closed combustion (i.e. sealed supply air and exhaust ducting);
- it must be designed and installed with power-vented exhaust; or
- it must be located in a detached utility building or open-air facility.