To encourage development within existing cities, suburbs, and towns to reduce adverse environmental and public health effects associated with sprawl. To reduce development pressure beyond the limits of existing development. To conserve natural and financial resources required for construction and maintenance of infrastructure.
Achieve any combination of requirements in the following three options:
Option 1. Location type (1-5 points)
Locate the project in one of the following locations:
- A previously developed site that is not an adjacent site or infill site (1 point).
- An adjacent site that is also a previously developed site (2 points).
- An infill site that is not a previously developed site (3 points).
- An infill site that is also a previously developed site (5 points).
Option 2. Connectivity
Locate the project in an area that has existing connectivity, as listed in Table 1. Measure connectivity one of two ways:
- within 1/2 mile (800 meters) of the project boundary; or
- within the project and within ½ mile (800 meters) of the project boundary.
- a site listed by the EPA National Priorities List;
- a Federal Empowerment Zone site;
- a Federal Enterprise Community site;
- a Federal Renewal Community site;
- a Department of the Treasury Community Development Financial Institutions Fund Qualified Low-Income Community (a subset of the New Markets Tax Credit Program);
- a site in a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Qualified Census Tract (QCT) or Difficult Development Area (DDA); or
- a local equivalent program administered at a national level for projects outside the U.S.
Intersections within the site may be counted if the intersections were not constructed or funded by the developer within the past ten years.
|Intersections per square mile||Intersections per
|≥ 200 and < 250||≥ 78 and < 97||1|
|≥ 250 and < 300||≥97 and < 116||2|
|≥ 300 and < 350||≥116 and < 135||3|
|≥ 350 and < 400||≥135 and < 154||4|
|≥ 400||≥ 154||5|
Option 3. Designated high-priority locations (3 points)
Earn at least 2 points under NPDc4 Housing Types and Affordable Housing, Option 2, Affordable Housing.
Locate the project on one of the following:
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!
No sample form available for this credit.View all sample forms