To promote healthy, comfortable, and productive work by designing the workplace to accommodate its users.
Identify activities and building functions that would benefit from the application of ergonomics in the selection of appropriate furnishings, equipment and education.
Consult current ergonomics standards and guidelines relevant to the tasks that will be performed in the building. For computer workstations, these include:
- BIFMA G1-2002 (to be superseded by BIFMA G1-2011 when approved)
- ANSI/HFES 100-2007
- CSA Z412-00 (R2011)
For non-computer workstations these include:
- Z1004-09, OSHA 3192-05N(2004)
- OSHA 3182 (revised 2009)
Prior to designing the interior (including lighting, thermal environment, office layout, individual workstation design, furnishings and equipment) consult with and analyze occupant needs. Review potential design options with occupants.
Analyze these occupant needs:
- User characteristics (age, size, shape, weight, ability/disability, gender)
- Tasks performed (including relative importance and priority of tasks, frequency, duration)
- Equipment and materials used along with storage requirements
Demonstrate that key interrelated ergonomic principles1 were incorporated into the interior design that facilitate occupant well-being (health, performance, and satisfaction).
Provide ergonomics education and training to all users upon installation of furniture and equipment.
1Key ergonomic interrelated principles include versatility and flexibility, fit, postural change, worker education and training, and maintainability and adaptability.
General Pilot Documentation Requirements
- Participate in the LEEDuser pilot credit forum
- Complete the feedback survey:
- Strategic plan for a comprehensive ergonomics strategy outlining how each item will be achieved
- Document the two education sessions
- Example follow up survey
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!
No sample form available for this credit.View all sample forms