To encourage the use of products and materials for which life-cycle information is available and that have environmentally, economically, and socially preferable life-cycle impacts. To reward project teams for selecting products for which the chemical ingredients in the product are inventoried using an accepted methodology and for selecting products verified to minimize the use and generation of harmful substances. To reward raw material manufacturers who produce products verified to have improved life-cycle impacts.
Option 1. material ingredient reporting (1 point)
Use at least 20 different permanently installed products from at least five different manufacturers that use any of the following programs to demonstrate the chemical inventory of the product to at least 0.1% (1000 ppm).
- Manufacturer Inventory. The manufacturer has published complete content inventory for the product following these guidelines:
- A publicly available inventory of all ingredients identified by name and Chemical Abstract Service Registration Number (CASRN)
- Materials defined as trade secret or intellectual property may withhold the name and/or CASRN but must disclose role, amount and GreenScreen benchmark, as defined in GreenScreen v1.2.
- Health Product Declaration. The end use product has a published, complete Health Product Declaration with full disclosure of known hazards in compliance with the Health Product Declaration open Standard.
- Cradle to Cradle. The end use product has been certified at the Cradle to Cradle v2 Basic level or Cradle to Cradle v3 Bronze level.
- USGBC approved program. Other USGBC approved programs meeting the material ingredient reporting criteria.
Option 2. Material ingredient optimization (1 point)
Use products that document their material ingredient optimization using the paths below for at least 25%, by cost, of the total value of permanently installed products in the project.
- GreenScreen v1.2 Benchmark. Products that have fully inventoried chemical ingredients to 100 ppm that have no Benchmark 1 hazards:
- If any ingredients are assessed with the GreenScreen List Translator, value these products at 100% of cost.
- If all ingredients are have undergone a full GreenScreen Assessment, value these products at 150% of cost.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified. End use products are certified Cradle to Cradle. Products will be valued as follows:
- Cradle to Cradle v2 Gold: 100% of cost
- Cradle to Cradle v2 Platinum: 150% of cost
- Cradle to Cradle v3 Silver: 100% of cost
- Cradle to Cradle v3 Gold or Platinum: 150% of cost
- International Alternative Compliance Path – REACH Optimization. End use products and materials that do not contain substances that meet REACH criteria for substances of very high concern. If the product contains no ingredients listed on the REACH Authorization or Candidate list, value at 100% of cost.
- USGBC approved program. Products that comply with USGBC approved building product optimization criteria.
Option 3. Product Manufacturer Supply Chain Optimization (1 point)
Use building products for at least 25%, by cost, of the total value of permanently installed products in the project that:
- Are sourced from product manufacturers who engage in validated and robust safety, health, hazard, and risk programs which at a minimum document at least 99% (by weight) of the ingredients used to make the building product or building material, and
- Are sourced from product manufacturers with independent third party verification of their supply chain that at a minimum verifies:
- Processes are in place to communicate and transparently prioritize chemical ingredients along the supply chain according to available hazard, exposure and use information to identify those that require more detailed evaluation
- Processes are in place to identify, document, and communicate information on health, safety and environmental characteristics of chemical ingredients
- Processes are in place to implement measures to manage the health, safety and environmental hazard and risk of chemical ingredients
- Processes are in place to optimize health, safety and environmental impacts when designing and improving chemical ingredients
- Processes are in place to communicate, receive and evaluate chemical ingredient safety and stewardship information along the supply chain
- Safety and stewardship information about the chemical ingredients is publicly available from all points along the supply chain
Products meeting Option 3 criteria are valued at 100% of their cost for the purposes of credit achievement calculation.
For credit achievement calculation of options 2 and 3, products sourced (extracted, manufactured, purchased) within 100 miles (160 km) of the project site are valued at 200% of their base contributing cost. For credit achievement calculation, the value of individual products compliant with either option 2 or 3 can be combined to reach the 25% threshold but products compliant with both option 2 and 3 may only be counted once.
Structure and enclosure materials may not constitute more than 30% of the value of compliant building products.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!