To promote walking, biking, and other non-motorized transportation that results in reduced vehicle miles traveled (VMT), increased public health, and enhanced community participation.
Design and build the project to achieve all of the following features:
- A principal functional entry on the front façade faces a public space, such as a street,1square, park, paseo,2 or plaza, but not a parking lot, and is connected to sidewalks or equivalent provisions for walking.
- A historic building3is exempt if its historic principal functional entry does not face a public space and/or is not connected to sidewalks or equivalent provisions for walking, and the building cannot be modified without altering key historic features of the building.
- To qualify as a public space, a square, park, or plaza must be at least 50 feet (15 meters) wide at a point perpendicular to the functional entry.
- Non-motorized rights-of-way may be counted toward the requirement, but frontages facing those rights-of-way must have a minimum 1:0.5 ratio of building height to street width.
- Building height is measured to eaves or the top of the roof for a flat-roof structure, and street centerline is measured from the façade. For building frontages with multiple heights or widths, use average heights or widths weighted by each segment’s linear share of the total block length.
- Alleys4and driveways are excluded from these calculations.
- A historic building is exempt from these requirements if its dimensions do not meet the ratio requirements.
vaults and alleyways intersecting the vehicle travel way or walkway may be excluded from these calculations).
- Changes made based on feedback (03/15/2013):
wording modifications & measurement clarifications
public space qualification language added
- Change based on typo 11/3/2014:
changed 450 feet to 50 feet under street trees bullet
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!
No sample form available for this credit.View all sample forms