Improve or have no negative impacts on the outdoor acoustical environment as a result of new or major renovation building construction.
Design and locate exterior noise sources1 for new and majorly renovated buildings so that project noise levels at the nearest property line or public right of way are a minimum of 5 dBA below the existing ambient noise levels without the project, and no more than 60 dBA. Ambient sound level shall be measured as a Day-Night Equivalent Level (Ldn), and future sound levels from the project shall be calculated. Project building equipment noise shall be evaluated with respect to existing levels, and mitigated as required to not exceed the levels set out above. Emergency equipment (e.g. generators) do not need to meet these noise requirements, however, an operations plan must be included to describe their schedule for periodic testing.
1Noise sources may include building equipment mounted on the rooftop, inside building but exterior venting, or located at grade), transformers, traffic associated with the building, and other sources.
- Participate in the LEEDuser pilot credit forum
- Complete the feedback survey:
- Ambient noise measurements should be taken on the project site prior to construction or clearing to establish current Ldn.
- Calculations for building equipment noise emission should be submitted, establishing that noise is expected to be at least 5 dB below the established Ldn, and no louder than 60 dBA at the nearest property line or public right of way
- Narrative describing:
- Exterior equipment and noise mitigation design;
- Traffic noise control (routing, barriers, etc);
- Factors that improve the acoustical environment such as building shielding.
- Operations plan for testing of emergency equipment, describing the reason a particular time of day was chosen for testing.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!
No sample form available for this credit.View all sample forms