ID#6019 made on
MRc1.1 - Building reuse - maintain 75% of existing walls, floors and roof
LEED BD+C: New Construction
We are requesting a Credit Interpretation for MR 1.2 (Building Reuse). Our project is the renovation of an urban warehouse built in 1896 into new office space. From our current calculations under...
We are requesting a Credit Interpretation for MR 1.2 (Building Reuse). Our project is the renovation of an urban warehouse built in 1896 into new office space. From our current calculations under LEED 2.0, 100% of the existing building structure was reused for Credit M1.1. 82% of the existing interior elements were maintained for Credit MR 1.3. Clarification is requested for the situation regarding Credit MR 1.2 and its subsequent effect on Credit MR 1.3. We have maintained 100% of the existing structure and nearly 100% of the shell; however, this is pending interpretation of several minor alterations that were made to the shell; alterations that were made in the interest of other green building incentives. The first shell alteration is the roof, as the existing black EPDM membrane roof was leaking in several places. The existing roof insulation was inadequate and posed a potential mold problem. The roof membrane and insulation were removed and replaced. It should be noted that the roof joists, roof deck, and parapets were 100% maintained. We used this opportunity to increase the insulating value of the building envelope with better roof insulation and to install a new white membrane energy star roof to meet the requirements of Credit SS 7.2. The second shell alteration concerns windows in the exterior walls. The few original windows in the building had been filled in and the structure was virtually windowless. In an effort to introduce daylight, views, and operable, energy-efficient windows, the original window openings were restored and portions of the wall were removed to create new window openings. It should be noted that the bricks from the new openings were salvaged, and in most cases were reused on the building. The portion of the exterior walls removed for the window openings account for only 7% of the walls, leaving a full 93% of the shell walls entirely reused. In summary, we reused as much of the existing structure, shell, and interior as possible. We feel the intent and requirements for MR 1.1 and MR 1.3 were far exceeded; however, this is pending the interpretation of how to count the shell alterations mentioned above in MR 1.2. They were alterations made only in the pursuit of other Green Building Incentives that benefited the project as a whole. Does the roof that was removed and replaced with an energy roof, and the portion of the walls that were removed for new windows count against us in the calculations for Credit MR 1.2?
Regarding your first question on replacing roofing material and insulation, it should be noted that LEED v2.1 MRc1.2 specifically excludes non-structural roofing material; therefore your approach appears to meet the requirements of that version (and may be applied in a mixed submittal). With regards to the shell alteration to create windows, MRc1.2 states that 100% of the building shell must be reused. This project claims 93% shell reuse, with the majority of the additional 7% salvaged within the building. There is a previous MRc1.2 CIR dated 3/21/2003 that addresses this issue and states that, if significant re-use of non-shell/non-structure can be demonstrated along with clear documentation of material reuse for the 7% of the displaced shell, then it is reasonable to expect that the strategy proposed would represent equivalency to the requirements of MR 1.2. In addition, it is reasonable to assume the same logic would apply to MRc1.3 and the strategy proposed would represent equivalency to the requirements if fully documented. Applicable internationally.
Related Addenda (Corrections & Interpretations)