To establish minimum indoor air quality (IAQ) performance to enhance indoor air quality in buildings, thus contributing to the comfort and well-being of the occupants.
Meet the minimum requirements of Sections 4 through 7 of ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2007, Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality (with errata but without addenda23).
Use a Local standard for establishing a baseline and measure performance relative to that baseline, to demonstrate equivalency with the above requirements of ASHRAE. The following general topics must be addressed in establishing acceptable benchmarks and metrics used for demonstrating equivalency with ASHRAE Standard 62.1–2007, Sections 4 through 7 (with errata but without addenda) :
- Outdoor air quality
- Systems and equipment
- Ventilation rate procedure and indoor air quality (IAQ) procedure
- Construction and system start-up
CASE 1. Mechanically Ventilated Spaces
Mechanical ventilation systems must be designed using the ASHRAE 62.1 ventilation rate procedure (OR) the applicable local code, whichever is more stringent.
CASE 2. Naturally Ventilated Spaces
Use a local standard for establishing a baseline and measure performance relative to that baseline, to demonstrate equivalency with the requirements of ASHRAE Standard 62.1–2007, Paragraph 5.1 (with errata but without addenda22). The following general topics must be addressed in establishing acceptable benchmarks and metrics for demonstrating equivalency with the ASHRAE standard.
- Naturally ventilated spaces must be permanently open to the outdoors and within 25 feet (8 meters) of operable wall or roof openings.
- The openable area must be at least 4% of the net occupiable floor area. If an opening is covered with louvers or otherwise partially obstructed, calculate the openable area based on the free, unobstructed area.
- If an interior space without direct openings to the outdoors is ventilated through an adjoining room, the opening between the rooms must be permanently unobstructed and be at least 8% of the area of the interior room or 25 square feet (2 square meters).
- Whenever the space is occupied, building occupants must have a readily accessible way to control the opening.
If approved by the local authority, an engineered natural ventilation system need not meet the above requirements for location and size of openings and accessible controls.