Verify and ensure that the tenant space is designed, constructed and calibrated to operate as intended.
Implement, or have a contract in place to implement, the following additional commissioning process activities in addition to the requirements of EA Prerequisite 1 and in accordance with the LEED-NC 2.2 Reference Guide:
1. Prior to the start of the construction documents phase, designate an independent Commissioning Authority (CxA) to lead, review, and oversee the completion of all commissioning process activities. The CxA shall, at a minimum, perform Tasks 2, 3 and 6. Other team members may perform Tasks 4 and 5.
a. The CxA shall have documented commissioning authority experience in at least two building projects.
b. The individual serving as the CxA shall be—
- i. independent of the work of design and construction;
ii. not an employee of the design firm, though they may be contracted through them;
iii. not an employee of, or contracted through, a contractor or construction manager holding construction contracts; and
iv. (can be) a qualified employee or consultant of the Owner.
- c. The CxA shall report results, findings and recommendations directly to the Owner.
d. For projects smaller than 50,000 gross square feet, the CxA may include qualified persons on the design or construction teams who have the required experience.
2. The CxA shall conduct, at a minimum, one commissioning design review of the Owner’s Project Requirements (OPR), Basis of Design (BOD), and design documents prior to mid-construction documents phase and back-check the review comments in the subsequent design submission.
3. The CxA shall review contractor submittals applicable to systems being commissioned for
compliance with the OPR and BOD. This review shall be concurrent with A/E reviews and submitted to the design team and the Owner.
4. Develop a systems manual that provides future operating staff the information needed to understand and optimally operate the commissioned systems.
5. Verify that the requirements for training operating personnel and building occupants are completed.
6. Assure the involvement by the CxA in reviewing building operation within 10 months after substantial completion with O&M staff and occupants. Include a plan for resolution of outstanding commissioning-related issues.