Floor Warming, Primary Heating, Snow Melting & Roof De-Icing with PTC Heaters
GBCI: 0910000144Provides an overview of self-regulating polymer technology and the performance benefits of using PTC (positive temperature coefficient) heaters for energy efficient floor warming, primary heating, snow melting, and roof de-icing.
- 1.0 CE
Radiant heat flooring systems increase occupant comfort, improve indoor air quality, reduce energy costs, and are safe and aesthetically pleasing. This course compares the operation and installation of traditional, hydronic (water tubing) and electric cable, radiant heating systems to one that utilizes PTC (positive temperature coefficient ) heaters - homogeneous, flat, thin, strong, flexible mats made of a unique polymer blend that heat up when electricity passes through them. By explaining how self-regulating polymer technology works the energy efficiency of the PTC heater is revealed. Application examples illustrate how a PTC heaters can be used under all types of floor coverings to take the chill out of the floor in a small area, as the primary heat source for an entire building, or in exterior applications to melt snow and ice.
- Discuss the underlying principles of heat transfer and the advantages of radiant heat.
- Compare the operation and installation of radiant heating systems.
- Explain how self-regulating polymer technology works, and identify specific applications across a variety of construction sectors.
- Discuss the energy efficiency and performance of PTC (positive temperature coefficient) heaters.
- Discuss the advantages of using PTC heaters for floor warming, primary heating, snow melting, and roof de-icing.