Off the Grid: A Case Study
GBCI: 0910000506This one hour movie is part two of a case study focusing on an off the grid residence in Washington state.
- 1 CE
LEED version: v2009
Published on: March 01, 2014
This one hour movie is part two of a case study focusing on an off the grid residence in Washington state. The movie explores how to calculate a solar array, describes PV panel installation strategies for different types of roofs, discusses harvesting renewable materials on site, and looks at composting toilets vs. septic tanks. Exclusive interviews with solar pioneers Bill and Lanny Sinkin provide insight into the future of solar energy. The human interest story incorporates interviews with the owners, designer, and the construction team to provide an informative narrative on lessons learned during the process.
Go “Off the Grid, Part 1” to take the course related to the first part of this case study.
- Calculate a solar array size
- Discuss the different roofing installation options of PV panels
- Compare and contrast septic & composting toilets
- Explain the benefits of installing PV panels on a metal roof
- List the components of a solar system