Making a Home Greener
GBCI: 0920011905Understanding the parts of a home that can be develop to make it greener.
- .5 CE
Rating system: v2009
Published on: December 28, 2016
The definition of a green or sustainable home has broadened and deepened over the decades. Experience, knowledge, and innovations developed by architects, contractors, and manufacturers have produced a set of criteria which signals that a house is thoughtfully designed and built. During a renovation, features and assets that were not considered when the home was first built can now be included. Those sustainable criteria to consider specifying in a renovation include durability, energy efficiency, comfort, and health. We’ll start out discussing each of them as they apply to windows and patio doors, and clarify the details that make a window efficient.
- Review factors that make a home green and the components of energy efficient windows.
- Identify the cost vs. value statistics for replacement windows.
- Identify the environmental factors of aluminum windows.
- Define options in window replacements for a greener home.
- Define choices in patio door replacements for a greener home.
- Discuss standards and green building certifications for renovations