The built environment is all around us.
It's all the buildings we occupy and all the space between, like sidewalks, trails, and roads. At USGBC, we envision buildings and communities will regenerate and sustain the health and vitality of all life within a generation. Taking time to spend in nature and having natural views can relieve stress, increase memory performance and creativity, and improve attention span.
We challenge you to spend 30 minutes in nature each day for 30 days in June. We call it the 30x30 Nature Challenge. Will you join us?
Getting your daily green time can be as easy as heading to a backyard, balcony or a neighborhood park. Nature is closer than you think. Here are a few ideas:
- On your next walk, stop to smell some flowers.
- That book you’re reading (or avoiding)? Take it to your favorite shady spot and dive in.
- Choose a new trail, park, or path and explore it on foot or bike.
- Go on a nighttime nature walk. Look and listen for the creatures of the night.
- Get to know your inner artist. Take a pencil and paper to your local park, and try your hand at sketching.
- Get your hands dirty in the garden. Not only is it great exercise, it lifts your mood.
Motivate your workplace
Busy, high-tech lifestyles take a toll on the workplace, resulting in reduced productivity, lower job satisfaction and higher rates of absenteeism. But there’s an easy prescription for healthier lives and more vibrant communities: a regular dose of nature.
Support wellness in your organization or company through the 30×30 Nature Challenge.
Encourage your community
The nature challenge is an excellent way to engage an entire community and build camaraderie among neighbors. Communities can also use the challenge as a way to feature local businesses and organizations, as well as beautiful natural areas.
Participating USGBC Communities
- Hampton Roads
- Nebraska Flatwater
- Central Ohio
- Central Pennsylvania
- Greater Virginia
- North Dakota
If you're state isn't listed, you can still participate in the 30x30 Nature Challenge!
Be a part of a fun, unique program that reaches a diverse audience as a sponsor or event partner of the 2016 30x30 Nature Challenge.
Sponsoring the 30x30 Nature Challenge is an opportunity to connect with a wide audience, build brand awareness and show your company’s support of an important cause: improved human health and wellness through sustainable and resilient building practices.
Event Partners host June events that highlight their organizational expertise or dedication to a better built environment that enhances rather that disrupts the ecosystem services we need.
Trail Blazer Sponsor
Explorer Sponsor: DP Electronic Recycling, GRAEF
- Pringle Nature Center
- Tall Pines Conservancy
- Green Iowa AmeriCorps
- Midwest Renewable Energy Association
- Oconomowoc Area Chamber of Commerce (Sustainable Business Initiative Committee)
- Wisconsin Green Muslims
- Polk County Conservation