Join USGBC Arizona members and volunteers at our next Case Studies and Cocktails on April 20 to tour the historic Hotel Congress in downtown Tucson, followed by a networking reception with the Tucson Emerging 2030 District and other partners.
Earn continuing education credits, and learn how the Hotel Congress is positioning itself as a leader in energy efficiency and sustainable design in partnership with this District. This event is also an opportunity to increase your company's exposure to a targeted audience of industry leaders.
At the networking reception representatives from USGBC and the Tucson Emerging 2030 District will be available to talk more about their work in the community. Hors d'oeuvres and drinks will be served. This event has been approved for 0.5 GBCI CE.
The historic Hotel Congress is recognized as a Gold Level Green Leader on TripAdvisor and has recently been named as America's Greenest Workplace of 2016 in Mrs. Green's World's AZ Greenest Workplace Challenge. Our tour leader will be Rita Dorsey Boutwell, the Director of Training and Development for Hotel Congress and Maynards Market & Kitchen. She oversees the development of all employees to enhance skills, workplace equanimity, performance, productivity and quality of work.
With the hotel's solar-powered water heater, stance against abundant plastic usage, composting efforts and determined approach to using local products as often as possible, the hotel has a passion for the future. Employees are also engaged from the get-go as the hotel's employee orientation informs staff of hotel's green initiatives, and employees participate in regular trainings on new programs and refresher trainings on current programs. Sustainable initiatives the hotel has incorporated include:
- Sourcing local and sustainable ingredients for the hotel's restaurant
- Using upcycled wine bottles from Refresh Glass
- Eliminating as many straws as possible as a part of the One Less Straw campaign with One More Generation
- Switching to 100 percent recycled and compostable paper coasters
- Switching to compostable drink cups
- Providing guests with solar-heated water
- Installing energy efficient cooling systems in hotel rooms
- Using water efficient urinals from Ecoblue
- Learn what inspired the historic Hotel Congress to incorporate sustainable initiatives and stand out as a green leader in the heart of Tucson
- Identify the benefits of utilizing a solar-powered water heater and other water and energy efficient systems
- Identify the benefits of composting, recycling, and upcycling
- Identify the impact of abundant plastic usage on the environment
- Networking Reception: 5:30-6 p.m.
- Local presentations facilitated by Gina Murphy Darling of Mrs. Green's World: 6-6:30 p.m.
- Tour of Hotel Congress and Networking Reception: 6:30-7:30 p.m.
For more information about the event and Tucson's Emerging 2030 District, contact Michael Peel.
Sponsorship. Sponsorship opportunities are available including registration packages and increased recognition at the event. Interested in becoming a sponsor? Contact Cindy Zork, and partner with us today.
Thank you to the Hotel Congress and our other event partners for their generous support of this event.