The industry is filled with systems and tools for greening a building or project. Join us for an educational seminar about what you need to know to utilize LEED v4, the WELL Building Standard, and WasteCap TRACE.
7:30-8 a.m. — Breakfast and networking
8 a.m. — LEED v4 - Better buildings are our legacy (1.0 GCBI LEED specific BD+C; 1.0 AIA LU)
Speaker: Phil Vetterkind, Director, Sustainable Building Solutions
The LEED green building rating system has been a significant driver for market transformation since its debut in 2000. LEED v4 is the latest version of the system and was released in November 2013 at the Greenbuild International Conference and Expo. This session will provide an update of the development process, and a general overview of the technical changes. It will also include an early look at supporting tools and resources for the LEED v4 program.
Learning objectives include:
- Ability to articulate the overarching environmental priorities of the LEED v4 program
- Describe the new credits within the LEED v4 program and their environmental value
- List the new market sectors that LEED v4 accommodates
- Summarize the technical changes from LEED 2009 to LEED v4
9:15 a.m. — Introduction to the WELL Building Standard (1.0 GBCI; 1.0 AIA LU)
Speaker: Theresa Lehman, Director of Sustainable Services, Miron Construction Co.
Sustainability in the built environment is not just about “quantity reduction;” it is also about “enhancing quality.” An increasing emphasis is being placed on human health, and as a result many sustainably-minded organizations are merging their wellness and sustainability initiatives.
This presentation provides an overview of the WELL Building Standard, a performance-based system for measuring, certifying, and monitoring features of the built environment that impact human health and wellbeing, and introduces the framework, concept categories (air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort and mind), certification process and fees.
Learn about the WELL Building Standard and its potential to add measurable value enhancing human health and wellbeing such that you will be able to:
- Identify the seven concepts of the WELL Building Standard, the health impacts they address;
- Recognize the structure of the WELL Building Standard and the high-level strategies needed to achieve a healthy built environment;
- Understand the overlap and differences between WELL and LEED;
- Articulate the benefits of WELL certification; and
- Identify the certification process of the WELL Building Standard
10 a.m. — WasteCap TRACE (1.0 GBCI; 1.0 AIA LU)
Speaker: Joe Liebau Jr., Executive Director, WasteCap Resource Solutions
Learn more about TRACE, WasteCap’s free online documentation program that tracks ongoing construction and demolition debris recycling and documents the results. The program helps to streamline this process by saving time spent calling haulers, tracking numbers and calculating results.
TRACE gathers info required by governmental entities and certification programs, like LEED and Green Guidelines for Healthcare. Learn more about all the features TRACE offers from WasteCap’s Executive Director, Joe Liebau, as well as success stories behind numbers tracked in TRACE from projects in construction, deconstruction, salvaging and other recycling efforts.
12 p.m. — End of seminar