To reduce the exposure of building occupants and maintenance personnel to potentially hazardous chemical, biological and particulate contaminants, which adversely affect air quality, human health, building finishes, building systems and the environment.
Have in place a green cleaning policy for the building and site addressing the following green cleaning credits and other requirements:
- Purchase sustainable cleaning and hard floor and carpet care products meeting the sustainability criteria outlined in IEQ Credit 3.3: Green Cleaning—Purchase of Sustainable Cleaning Products and Materials.
- Purchase cleaning equipment meeting the sustainability criteria outlined in IEQ Credit 3.4: Green Cleaning—Sustainable Cleaning Equipment.
- Establish standard operating procedures addressing how an effective cleaning and hard floor and carpet maintenance system will be consistently utilized, managed and audited. Specifically address cleaning to protect vulnerable building occupants.
- Develop strategies for promoting and improving hand hygiene, including both hand washing and the use of alcohol-based waterless hand sanitizers.
- Develop guidelines addressing the safe handling and storage of cleaning chemicals used in the building, including a plan for managing hazardous spills or mishandling incidents.
- Develop requirements for staffing and training of maintenance personnel appropriate to the needs of the building. Specifically address the training of maintenance personnel in the hazards of use, disposal and recycling of cleaning chemicals, dispensing equipment and packaging.
- Provide for collecting occupant feedback and continuous improvement to evaluate new technologies, procedures and processes.
This policy must adhere to the LEED 2009 for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance policy model (see Introduction). At a minimum, the policy must cover the green cleaning procedures and materials that are within the building and site management’s control.
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!
No sample form available for this credit.View all sample forms