To reduce indoor air quality (IAQ) problems resulting from construction or renovation and promote the comfort and well-being of construction workers and building occupants.
Develop and implement an IAQ management plan for the construction and preoccupancy phases of the building as follows:
- During construction, meet or exceed the recommended control measures of the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning National Contractors Association (SMACNA) IAQ Guidelines For Occupied Buildings Under Construction, 2nd Edition 2007, ANSI/ SMACNA 008-2008 (Chapter 3).
- Protect stored on-site and installed absorptive materials from moisture damage.
- If permanently installed air handlers are used during construction, filtration media must be used at each return air grille that meets one of the following criteria below. Replace all filtration media immediately prior to occupancy.
- Filtration media with a minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) of 8 as determined by ASHRAE Standard 52.2-1999 (with errata but without addenda1)
- Filtration media is Class F5 or higher, as defined by CEN Standard EN 779-2002, Particulate air filters for general ventilation, Determination of the filtration performance
- Filtration media with a minimum dust spot efficiency of 30% or higher and greater than
90% arrestance on a particle size of 3–10 µg
Ask questions, share tips, and get notified of new forum posts by joining LEEDuser, a tool developed by BuildingGreen and supported by USGBC!