To preserve ecological integrity and encourage environmentally sensitive site management practices that provide a clean, well-maintained, and safe building exterior while supporting high-performance building operations and integration into the surrounding landscape.
Create and implement a site management policy that employs best management practices to reduce harmful chemical use, energy waste, water waste, air pollution, solid waste, and/or chemical runoff for all of the following operational elements on the building and grounds:
- use of low emissions maintenance equipment;
- snow and ice removal;
- cleaning of building exterior, pavement, and other impervious surfaces;
- erosion and sedimentation control (for ongoing operations and for construction activity);
- organic waste management (returned to the site or diverted from landfills);
- invasive and exotic plant species management (through monitoring and eradication);
- fertilizer use (testing soils before using fertilizer to prevent overapplication of nutrients);
- irrigation management (monitor irrigation systems manually or with automated systems at least every two weeks during the operating season for appropriate water usage, system times, leaks, or breaks); and
- storage of materials and equipment.