To preserve ecological integrity and encourage environmentally sensitive site management practices that provide a clean, well-maintained, and safe building exterior while supporting high-performance building operations and integration into the surrounding landscape.
Demonstrate that the following performance criteria were met:
- Use no calcium chloride or sodium chloride deicers, and/or establish reduced treatment areas equal to 50% of applicable paving area.
- Prevent erosion and sedimentation, and restore any eroded soils.
- Prevent air pollution from construction materials and activities.
- Divert from landfills 100% of plant material waste via low-impact means.
- Prevent the over application of nutrients. Use no ammonia-based fertilizers, biosolid-based fertilizers (for continuous application), synthetic quick-release fertilizers, or “weed and feed” formulations. Blanket applications of herbicides are prohibited; turf weeds may be controlled by spot spraying only.
- Monitor irrigation systems manually or with automated systems at least every two weeks during the operating season and correct any leaks, breaks, inappropriate water usage, or incorrect timing.
- Store materials and equipment to prevent air and site contamination.
Meet one of the following options:
Option 1. Limited turf area
Limit turf to 25% or less of the vegetated area.
Playgrounds and athletic fields in schools or parks are excluded from this option.
Option 2. all manual or electric-powered equipment
Use all manual or electric-powered equipment in all site management operations.
Option 3. reduction in emissions from site management equipment
Show and maintain a 50% reduction in hydrocarbon (HC) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, and a 75% reduction in carbon monoxide (CO) emissions from baseline conditions.