Iowa State is an international university with a friendly welcoming personality. Students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries come to Ames, Iowa, to choose from 100 majors, study with world-class scholars and hone their leadership skills in 800-plus student organizations. Iowa State offers a great environment where students can enjoy reaching their potential and discovering their passions.
Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm (Iowa State University) was established on March 22, 1858, by the legislature of the State of Iowa. In 1862, the Iowa legislature accepted the provisions of the Morrill Act, which was awarded to the college in 1864. As a land grant institution, ISU focused on the ideals that higher education should be accessible to all and that the university should teach liberal and practical subjects. These ideals are integral to the land-grant university.
The first official class entered in 1869 and the first class (24 men and 2 women) graduated in 1872. Iowa State was and is a leader in agriculture, engineering, extension, home economics, and created the nation's first state veterinary medicine school in 1879.
In 1959, the college was officially renamed Iowa State University of Science and Technology. The focus on technology led directly to multiple research patents and inventions including the first binary computer (the ABC), Maytag blue cheese, the round hay baler, and many more.
Beginning with a small number of students and Old Main, Iowa State University now has approximately 35,000 students and over 100 buildings with world class programs in agriculture, technology, science, and art.