Prior to Joining Lend Lease in August 2010, Joe Van Belleghem headed up
Windmill West, a well-respected sustainable development company based in
Joe has more than 22 years of development and financing experience in all
forms of real estate development, and is recognised as one of the world’s
most visionary green developers embracing the triple bottom line.
Joe has 26 years of real estate development experience. He has been with Lendlease for five years serving as:
• Executive General Manager Design & Product Solutions, Americas (current role)
• Head of Development & Infrastructure in the Lendlease Development Centre of Excellence & Global Head of Sustainability (Sydney Australia)
Joe was across the majority of Lend Lease’s $26 billion sustainable urban regeneration projects with particular involvement in the Elephant & Castle in the UK, Barangaroo in Sydney and Vic Harbour in Melbourne (all part of the C40 Carbon Neutral Program that include innovative features such recycled water plant). Lendlease vision of creating the best places is underpinned by a long and proud history of an approach where environmental and social outcomes are given equal priority to economic. It allows us to create places where people want to be, places that contribute to communities, are productive and ultimately, valued by all involved.
Prior to Joining Lendlease in August 2010, Joe Van Belleghem headed up Windmill West, a well-respected sustainable development company based in Canada. .
His personal development accomplishments include:
• First LEED Gold Building in Canada
• First two LEED residential platinum building in World (Calgary) followed by 5 other LEED platinum buildings in Ottawa and Victoria Canada with three of these projects setting LEED world records at the time
• The first stage two LEED ND Platinum project which included innovative features such as a natural systems approach to stormwater management, LEED platinum buildings and a blackwater recycling treatment plant.
Joe has been active in the green building movement since 1999 and is recognized as an early pioneer in Sustainable development focused on the triple bottom line. He was a founder of the Canada Green Building Council where he served as a vice chair on the Board of Directors. He also served two terms on the USGBC Board of Directors and served as treasurer.
Some of Joe’s Awards:
• The 2010 “Lifetime Leadership” award from the Canada Green Building
• The 2007 Province of BC Arbor Vitae Award for Environmental Leadership for dedication to environmental protection and stewardship
• Life time achievement award by the British Columbia Sustainable Energy Association
After demonstrating his passion for sustainable development as private developer he joined Lendlease, a global public company, who has received acclaim for their commitment and to sustainability on their large scale urban regeneration developments around the globe
Some of Lendlease recent accomplishments:
• Our Australian Prime Property Fund Commercial has been announced as the world’s most sustainable real estate fund by GRESB for the second year running – outperforming 707 companies and funds.
• We have over 400 LEED Accredited professionals around the globe.
• 238 LEED Projects delivered or in delivery since 2002
• We have over 1300 LEED Homes in our Military Housing Portfolio
• Lendlease has been named on the DJSI Australian and World Indices for the 14th year since 2001