SUMMARY: Paul has been involved in the building business for over 35 years,
starting with consulting on energy conservation and efficiency after the oil
embargo in the mid 70's. He works with architects, builders, and homeowners
consulting on Green Buildings. He has given talks to numerous professional
and civic groups on “Greening Your Home”. As a Home Performance Analyst
following BPI and CBPCA protocols, he has tested and designed upgrades on
projects ranging from single-family residences to 200+ unit multi-family
• Currently the LEED Rater for three Florida multi-family projects,
totaling 325 units seeking LEED Certification. Two are located in Fort Myers
and one in Fort Lauderdale.
• Construction started in May 2014 on the first moderately priced
net-zero energy home in SW Florida (Bonita Springs – 2,000 sq.ft.),
projected completion Nov. 2014. To be outfitted with PV and Solar DHW, it
will be seeking LEED Platinum Certification.
• January 2013 completed the first existing single family home retrofit in
SW Florida (Naples) to net-zero energy with the installation of Solar PV,
Solar DHW and energy efficiency upgrades. It is in the process of seeking
LEED Platinum Certification
• The LEED Rater/ Consultant for the first three LEED Platinum Certified
multi-family affordable projects in the southeast United States, all equipped
with solar hot water and completed in 2012.
• Paul built the first completed net-Zero Energy LEED Certified house in
the world (March 2006 - Sebastopol, CA). It incorporates both solar electric
and hot water systems in partnership with a high efficiency envelope and has
had a zero utility bill since completion in 2006.
• Currently involved with the development of the first moderate income
housing development in SW Florida that will be entirely LEED and Energy Star
Certified, and pre-equipped to be upgraded to net-zero energy homes.
• Paul has lead design teams in successfully developing and certifying over
15 single-family homes that have achieved LEED, three of which are net-zero
• LEED AP-Homes, LEED AP-Building Design and Construction, and LEED Rater
• RESNET National Level One HERS (Home Energy Rating System) Rater.
• Florida General Contractor since 1978 (CGC013166), California since 1994
• Certified CBPCA (California Building Performance Contractor’s
Association) instructor specializing in training contractors and architects
in Building Science, Home Performance Auditing and Energy Retrofits.
EDUCATION: Paul earned his Engineering Degree in Industrial and Systems
Design from the University of Michigan.
Paul relocated back to Southwest Florida in 2012 after 20 years in Northern
CONTACT INFO: Phone -239-293-8180
Email - [email protected]