LEED O+M: Existing Buildings v2009
Boys & Girls Club of SF - Mission Clubhouse
LEED Gold 2012
The Mission Clubhouse’s top sustainability goals were to create a safe and healthy environment for the children and staff, use the renovated building’s sustainability tactics as educational tools, and lower energy costs to invest money in other programs.
Originally built in 1929, the Mission Clubhouse housed one of the first Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco (BGCSF). Located in the heart of the Mission District, the building is two stories with a single-story gymnasium that has spacious, high ceilings. The Mission Clubhouse is owned by BGCSF and is used for after-school programs and summer camps. The building accommodates around 125 children per day with art classrooms, a learning center, media and game rooms, and a multi-purpose gymnasium.
An adaptive reuse of a historical building, the project is especially unique because of its tight urban location. It is surrounded on two sides by existing housing and has limited access from the street elevations. Approximately 20% of the existing building was salvaged and the remaining 80% was rebuilt using concrete tilt-up panels and steel frame construction to tie to the existing wood frame building. From the onset of the construction project, the project team strove for innovation in its approach to energy efficiency, which was carried through the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance process. The building has zero mechanical cooling, relies heavily on natural ventilation, and has radiant floor heating. These strategies, combined with a 27-kW solar photovoltaic array on the roof, led to an operational energy use intensity of below 30 kBtu per square foot, which is roughly 85% less energy use compared to similar buildings nationally.
BGCSF chose to pursue LEED certification for several reasons. First, it wanted to share with the community its belief that green building is important to the health and prosperity of our children. In addition, pursuing sustainability measures to earn LEED credits would help keep operating and energy costs as low as possible for the local non-profit. BGCSF also realized it had a unique ability to educate our future leaders on the benefits and necessities of sustainability, and knew one of the strongest ways to send that message was by pursuing LEED certification for its building. They are now reaping the benefits of LEED Gold achievement, engaging children with curriculum and activities around sustainability, and saving energy resources and costs with its near net zero electricity operation.