LEED O+M: Existing Buildings v3 - LEED 2008
Portola Hotel & Spa
Monterey, CA 93940
LEED Silver 2010
Portola Hotel & Spa is a seven-story, 235,928-square-foot hotel located in historic downtown Monterey, California, adjacent to the Monterey Conference Center. Within the LEED® project boundary, there are 323 guest rooms, two restaurants, a lounge and banquet catering. The hotel also provides meeting rooms and support for meetings and events.
Portola participated in the USGBC’s Recertification Beta Pilot Program. In fact, the Portola built upon the sustainability initiatives that it established in the first certification, including:
- 20 percent of the hotel’s employees commute using alternative forms of transportation including biking, walking, carpooling, and public transit.
- Contributes to protecting and maintaining the Monterey National Marine Sanctuary.
- Native and adaptive, drought tolerant plants have been incorporated into the property’s landscaping.
- To eliminate the hotel’s contribution to ozone depletion, all refrigerants containing CFCs have been phased out.
- Renewable Energy Credits equivalent to 100 percent of yearly energy usage have been purchased, supporting renewable energy generation offsite.
- A green cleaning policy and program has been implemented, as well as a commitment to purchase of 60% of sustainable cleaning products and materials; leading to better air quality for staff and guests.
- 80 percent of ongoing purchases are sustainable, reducing the environmental impact of those items being brought into the property.
In addition, Portola diverts approximately 78 percent of waste from landfills and conducts an annual waste audit to identify areas for further improvement. To ensure a healthy and productive environment for all, the hotel’s staff participates in an annual survey on occupant comfort and guests provide ongoing feedback on general cleanliness. Operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the hotel’s main restaurant is open daily for 12 hours in turn creating challenges regarding reducing energy demand. One example of waste reducing tactics includes the onsite craft brewery, Peter B’s, which donates “brew mash” generated from the brewing process to local cattle ranchers.
Portola Hotel has integrated sustainability into its company culture, daily operations and maintenance. Every employee receives on-board training that includes connecting sustainability and LEED into their daily job, personal lives and community. This recertification represents a continuation of sustainability initiatives. As a LEED Certified hotel in Central California, Portola Hotel & Spa takes great pride and is committed to providing eco-friendly amenities and superior service.