The mission of USGBC is to build healthy, efficient and equitable buildings and communities. Schools and their student communities are a vital part of this work.
USGBC Detroit Region invites students to use art to demonstrate ways in which their school could be made more green—or how it is already doing well in sustainable features. Any child in Michigan in grades K–5 may enter the My Green School Art Contest, whether they attend a school or are homeschooled.
Three semifinalists from each grade will be invited to a celebration for final judging and awarded a participation certificate and prizes.
The first-, second- and third-place winners from each grade will be honored at the Michigan Earth Day Fest. Artwork will be displayed at both the Michigan Earth Day Fest and in a traveling art show, including the Michigan Energy Fair and Next Energy.
- Create a picture to show what makes your school green or how your school could become greener.
- Use paper or card stock up to 12x18 inches.
- Any medium can be used: paint, crayons, pencil, collage, photos, stencils, etc.
- We encourage the use of recycled paper.
- Do not use glitter or copyrighted or trademarked images.
- Do not include the student’s or school’s name within the artwork.
- Do not include matting or framing with submission.
- Concept: Does it communicate a green theme for your school?
- Creativity: Is the art original and unique?
- Quality: Is there effective use of materials?