Congratulations on taking your first step toward earning your LEED AP BD+C! The key to earning a LEED AP is a thorough understanding of green building, the LEED rating system and the ability to facilitate the certification process.
The LEED v4 exam is based on the following test specifications and references. The exam questions reflect Task Domains and Knowledge domains.
Task Domains: Task Domains reflect the tasks necessary to perform LEED® safely and effectively. These include concepts such as LEED Project and Team Coordination, LEED Certification Process, Analyses Required for LEED Credits, and Advocacy and Education for Adoption for LEED Rating System.
- LEED Project and Team Coordination (22%)
- LEED Certification Process (32%)
- Analyses Required for LEED Credits (32%)
- Advocacy and Education for Adoption for LEED Rating System (14%)
Knowledge Domains: Knowledge Domains reflect the rating systems’ credit categories and what one needs to know. These include concepts such as LEED Process, Integrative Strategies, LEED credit categories, and Project Surroundings and Public Outreach.
- LEED Process (8 questions)
- Integrative Strategies (9 questions)
- Location and Transportation (9 questions)
- Sustainable Sites (9 questions)
- Water Efficiency (9 questions)
- Energy and Atmosphere (14 questions)
- Materials and Resources (12 questions)
- Indoor Environmental Quality (11 questions)
- Project Surroundings and Public Outreach (4 questions)
The primary sources for the development of the LEED professional exams are the LEED rating systems. The following list of references is not meant to be comprehensive. When combined with the test specifications, the candidate has the material from which the exam is based.
This exam is designed to test the knowledge and skills necessary to participate in the design process, to support and encourage integrated design, and to streamline the application and certification process.
- U.S. Green Building Council. LEED Building Design and Construction Reference Guide. v4 Edition. U.S. Green Building Council, 2013.
- "Green building incentive strategies." U. S. Green Building Council, 2014.
- U.S. Green Building Council. Guide to LEED Certification: Commercial. U.S. Green Building Council, 2014.
- U.S. Green Building Council. Foundations of LEED. U.S. Green Building Council, 2009.
- U.S. Green Building Council. LEED v4 for Building Design and Construction Checklist. U.S. Green Building Council, 2013.
- “LEED Addenda (Corrections + Interpretations).” U. S. Green Building Council, 2014.
- "LEED Online: Register a project." U.S. Green Building Council, 2014.
- "LEED Certification Fees." U.S. Green Building Council, 2014.
- “Rating System Selection Guidance.” U.S. Green Building Council, 2014.
- “Addenda Database." U.S. Green Building Council. Web.
Please note: LEED professional exams are updated on July 1 of every year; this update incorporates LEED addenda published through January of the same year. Additionally, no exams will be offered from June 15-June 30 of each year.
These sample questions were discarded in the process of creating items for the new LEED AP Building Design + Construction exam. The items are provided for your convenience to allow you to better familiarize yourself with the format and general content of items on the exam. Correct answers are marked with an asterisk*.
- The city is building a new botanical garden and is attempting LEED® certification. What could the
educational program include to earn an Innovation in Design Credit?
A. Present the building’s sustainable features at the grand opening
B. Present the building’s sustainable features at a town hall meeting
C. Provide on-going weekly tours highlighting the building’s sustainable features*
D. Publish a press release to the local newspaper outlining the building’s sustainable features
- How should athletic fields be treated in the calculations for WE Credit, Outdoor Water Use
A. Must be calculated using 100% potable water
B. May be included or excluded from the calculations*
C. May be calculated using a standard 20% reduction from baseline
D. Must be calculated using at least 20% from an alternative water source
Looking for more study materials? Access the following resources:
- Study plan: LEED AP BD+C exam: Four week study plan
- Course: LEED AP BD+C v4 Exam Prep (created by USGBC Education Partner Everblue)
- Study Guide: LEED AP BD+C Exam Preparation Guide (v4) (created by USGBC Education Partner ATP)
- Flash cards: LEED AP BD+C Study Cards (created by USGBC Education Partner ATP)
- Practice exam: LEED v4 BD+C Mock Exam -100 Questions (created by USGBC Education Partner Green Building Research Institute (GBRI))
- Practice exam: LEED v4 BD+C Mock Exam -30 Questions (created by USGBC Education Partner Green Building Research Institute (GBRI))