This article was last updated in April 2016.
Congratulations on taking your first step toward earning your LEED Green Associate! The key to earning a LEED Green Associate is a thorough understanding of green building and LEED.
The LEED v4 exam is based on the following text specifications and references. The exam questions reflect Task Domains and Knowledge Domains.
Task Domains: Task Domains reflect the tasks necessary to perform LEED safely and effectively. These include concepts such as LEED Project and Team Coordination, LEED Certification Process, Analyses Required for LEED Credits, and Advocacy and Education for Adoption for LEED Rating System.
- LEED Green Associate Tasks (100%)
Knowledge Domains: Knowledge Domains reflect the rating systems’ credit categories and what one needs to know.These include concepts such as LEED Process, Integrative Strategies, LEED credit categories, and Project Surroundings and Public Outreach.
- LEED Process (16 questions)
- Integrative Strategies (8 questions)
- Location and Transportation (7 questions)
- Sustainable Sites (7 questions)
- Water Efficiency (9 questions)
- Energy and Atmosphere (10 questions)
- Materials and Resources (9 questions)
- Indoor Environmental Quality (8 questions)
- Project Surroundings and Public Outreach (11 questions)
The primary sources for the development of the LEED professional exams are the LEED rating systems. The following list of references is not meant to be comprehensive. When combined with the test specifications, the candidate has the material from which the exam is based.
The LEED Green Associate Exam is designed to test the general knowledge of green building practices and how to support other professionals working on LEED projects.
- U.S. Green Building Council. Green Building and LEED Core Concepts Guide. 3rd Edition. U.S. Green Building Council, 2011.
- U.S. Green Building Council. Introductory and Overview Sections. LEED Building Design + Construction Reference Guide. v4 Edition. U.S. Green Building Council, 2013. *Note that the introductory and overview sections are available to download separately from purchasing the full reference guide.
- U.S. Green Building Council. LEED v4 Impact Category and Point Allocation Process Overview. U.S. Green Building Council, 2013.
- U.S. Green Building Council. LEED v4 User Guide. U.S. Green Building Council, 2013. Web.
- U.S. Green Building Council. Guide to LEED Certification: Commercial. U.S. Green Building Council, 2014. Web.
- “LEED Certification Fees.” U.S. Green Building Council, 2014. Web.
- “Rating System Selection Guidance.” U.S. Green Building Council, 2014. Web.
Please note: LEED professional exams are updated on July 1 of every year; this update incorporates LEED addenda published through January of the same year. Additionally, no exams will be offered from June 15-June 30 of each year.
These sample questions were discarded in the process of creating items for the new LEED Green Associate exam. The items are provided for your convenience to allow you to better familiarize yourself with the format and general content of items on the exam. Correct answers are marked with an asterisk*.
- When applying for innovation credits, a project team
A. Cannot submit any previously awarded innovation credit.
B. May receive credit for performance that doubles a credit requirement threshold.*
C. May submit a product or strategy that is being used in an existing LEED credit.
D. May receive a credit for each LEED Accredited Professional that is on the project team.
- A developer wants to make a profit by building a new office that maximizes daylighting and views. What actions might the developer take to fulfill all parts of the triple bottom line?
A. Restore habitat onsite
B. Purchase ergonomic furniture
C. Pursue local grants and incentives
D. Provide lighting controllability for occupants*
Looking for more study materials? Access the following resources:
- Study plan: LEED Green Associate exam: Two week study plan
- Course: LEED Green Associate v4 Exam Prep (created by USGBC Education Partner Everblue)
- Course: All-Inclusive LEED v4 Green Associate Exam Prep (created by USGBC Education Partner GBRI)
- Course: LEED® Exam Prep 101: A Practical Approach to Acing the LEED® v4 Green Associate Exam (created by USGBC Education Partner Green Building Services, Inc.)
- Publication: LEED Green Associate Exam Preparation Guide (created by USGBC Education Partner American Technical Publishers)
- Practice exam: Practice Test - LEED Green Associate (created by USGBC Education Partner GBES (Green Building Education Services))
- Practice exam: Test Your Knowledge - LEED Green Associate Exam Prep (created by USGBC Education Partner American Technical Publishers)
- Practice exam: Prove Your Proficiency - LEED Green Associate Exam Prep (created by USGBC Education Partner GreenCE)
- Practice exam: LEED Green Associate Mock Exam (created by USGBC Education Partner Green Building Research Institute (GBRI))
- Practice exam: LEED Green Associate Mock Exam - 30 Questions (created by USGBC Education Partner Green Building Research Institute (GBRI))