New governance structure supports the mission, vision and values of USGBC, advances green building movement and sustainable future
Washington, D.C.—(Nov.13, 2015)—The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) announced today its 2016 Board of Directors and Advisory Council members. The new governance structure of two leadership bodies will officially be implemented in 2016.
“By having both a Board of Directors and an Advisory Council, we increase our ability to meet the challenges of a complex business environment,” said Rick Fedrizzi, CEO and founding chair, USGBC. “The individuals on our new board bring a unique perspective and unparalleled industry expertise that will allow us to navigate the changing global business landscape. And our Advisory Council members will provide deep market knowledge and technical expertise that will help us continue to lead the green building industry.”
USGBC’s membership elected the following individuals to serve as directors for a term of three years each, effective Jan. 1, 2016:
- Bob Fox, Partner, COOKFOX Architects and Terrapin Bright Green (three-year term)
- Mike McNally, Principal, McNally Green, and retired President and CEO, Skanska USA (three-year term)
- Chrissa Pagitsas, Director, Green Initiative, Fannie Mae (two-year term)
- Janine Benyus, Partner and Cofounder, Biomimicry 3.8 (two-year term)
- Paul Anastas, PhD., Director, Center for Green Chemistry and Green Engineering, Yale University (one-year term)
- Aaron Bernstein, M.D., M.P.H., Associate Director, Center for Health and the Global Environment, Harvard Chan School of Public Health (one-year term)
- Bruce Oreck, Executive in Residence, Aalto University and former U.S. Ambassador to Finland (one-year term)
These directors will join Fiona Cousins and Rick Fedrizzi (ex officio) on the 2016 USGBC Board.
Newly elected 2016 Advisory Council members include:
- Facility Management and Operations: Daniele Horton, Founder and President, Verdani Partners
- Technology: Emma Stewart, Head of Sustainability Solutions, Autodesk
- Real Estate Finance and Capital Markets: Joe Van Belleghem, Executive General Manager of Design and Product Solutions, Lend Lease
- Business to Consumer Leader: Brandon Tinianov, Senior Director of Business Development, View, Inc.
- Educator (Post-Secondary): Brian Dunbar, Executive Director, Institute for the Built Environment, Colorado State University – Fort Collins
- Developer/Real Estate Services: Sara Neff, Vice President of Sustainability, Kilroy Realty Corporation
The Advisory Council provides the visionary industry leadership and perspectives that have built USGBC’s authenticity, credibility and relevance. As USGBC’s highest-level customer engagement platform, the Advisory Council recommends policy and initiatives to the Board. The Board of Directors retains the legal authority to make policy, direct staff and the ultimate fiduciary responsibility and liability for the advancement of USGBC’s business and mission.
"There are some amazing leaders joining USGBC’s Board and Advisory Council next year. We are looking forward to using our collective knowledge and expertise across the industry to drive global growth, increase USGBC’s influence and advance our mission," said Fiona Cousins, USGBC 2016 Board Chair.
The currently serving members of the USGBC Board of Directors will transition to seats on the Advisory Council. The Advisory Council members were selected through a contested election (see below for a full list of Advisory Council members). The 2016 Board of Directors was elected by the membership in a process overseen by 2015 Board.
To learn more, visit usgbc.org/board.
USGBC Advisory Council
- Fiona Cousins, Arup, Chair
- Marge Anderson, Seventhwave
- Dan Burgoyne, State of California, Department of General Services: State and Local Government Agency Employee
- Stephen Bushnell, Stephen Bushnell and Associates, Insurance
- Linda Chipperfield, Green Seal, Inc., Environmental Nonprofit Advocate
- Amy Costello, Armstrong World Industries, Product Manufacturer
- Brian Dunbar, Colorado State University, Educator (Post-Secondary)
- Duygu Erten, TURKECO, International
- Denise Grabowski, Symbioscity, Urban/Regional Planner
- Daniele Horton, Verdani Partners, Facility Management and Operations
- Mark James, Urban Green LLC, Sustainable Community Leader
- Lisa Matthiessen, Integral, Sustainable Practice Leader: Architecture and Design
- Sara O’Mara, Choate Construction Company, Constructor of Buildings
- Sara Neff, Kilroy Realty Corporation, Developer/Real Estate Services
- Christopher Schaffner, The Green Engineer, Sustainable Practice Leader: Engineer
- Brandon Tinianov, View, Inc., Business to Consumer Leader
- Kevin Stack, Northeast Natural Homes, Residential Construction
- Emma Stewart, Autodesk, Technology
- Joe Van Belleghem, Lend Lease, Real Estate Finance and Capital Markets
- Vance Voss, Principal Real Estate Investors, Commercial Real Estate Executive Leader