Each year, leaders in the green building industry gather together for the Forever Green ceremony and dinner. Some are there to receive awards; others are there to network with the award-winning project teams and acknowledge their achievements. It is a wonderful evening of community, farm-to-table cuisine and recognition. The awards given at Forever Green are called the USGBC Central Pennsylvania Leader Awards, and they are given to people and projects in our region that are advancing sustainable buildings.
Our keynote speaker for this year’s ceremony will be Claire Maulhardt, PLA, the City Beautiful H2O Program Manager for Capital Region Water in Harrisburg. Claire is a licensed landscape architect in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and received her bachelors' degree in landscape architecture from the University of Oregon. She will share both background and future plans for the City of Harrisburg's green infrastructure.
Our 2017 Forever Green ceremony and dinner will be held on Thurs., November 30 from 6–9 p.m. at Historic Acres of Hershey. We invite anyone and everyone who is interested in sustainability to join us for this momentous annual affair. Registration closes on November 23.
2017 Leader Award winners
- LEED Project of the Year will be awarded to Kreider Commons in Lebanon, affordable senior living apartments featuring adaptive reuse and LEED Platinum certification. The project was submitted by Sol Design + Consulting, was designed by Marks Thomas, and was developed by Woda Group, Inc.
- For its LEED Silver Renovation to Daniel C. Roberts Hall, a building constructed in the 1850s, Bucknell University will receive our Rise to the Challenge award. NELSON submitted and designed this project.
- For its energy and resource-efficient upgrade to a dry cleaning establishment in Carlisle, Classic Drycleaners and Laundromats will receive our Small Business Project of the Year award. Warren Energy Engineering submitted this project and served as the Energy Auditor.
- Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center will be receiving two awards: our Climate Champion award for an energy-efficient overhaul of its chilled water plant and our Innovative Project, New Construction award for their LEED v4 University Technology Center.
- For the third year in a row, our Improving the Acceptance of Green award will be given to a Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) project, the Kinzua Bridge State Park Visitor Center and Park Office, for DCNR’s continued efforts in designing and constructing LEED buildings that are used as teaching tools for the general public.
- Green School of the Year will go to Hallowell Elementary in Hatboro-Horsham School District, which is aiming for LEED Gold certification and was designed by USGBC Central Pennsylvania annual sponsor EI Associates.
- An Honorable Mention–Green Schools will be awarded to Lewisburg Area High School, which is aiming for LEED Gold certification and was designed by USGBC Central Pennsylvania annual sponsor Crabtree, Rohrbaugh & Associates Architects.
- An Honorable Mention–Senior Living will be given to Jackson Tower Senior Housing, which is a green renovation of a multifamily senior living high-rise owned by Harrisburg Housing Authority and designed by KD3 Design Studio.
- Volunteer of the Year is bestowed upon individuals for their exemplary leadership and dedication to our organization:
- Todd Buzard, Vice President of Preconstruction Services at Reynolds, was incredibly instrumental in ensuring the success of our Icehouse initiative by securing a major sponsor, purchasing building materials and leading the construction and delivery of the structures.
- Rachel Stahlman, an emerging professional, has donated the most time to USGBC Central Pennsylvania in the past year, initially as an intern for Director Heidi Kunka, and now as an office volunteer.
- The Community Changemaker award will be given to the following organizations/companies for their substantial efforts in planning and implementing a first-of-its-kind initiative for USGBC Central Pennsylvania, Icehouse Demonstration Day: Unfreeze Pennsylvania Energy Codes: Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, Reynolds, 7group, Steven Winter Associates, Ciesco and Intertek.
- The Six Years of Service award will be given to Steve Deasy, President/Owner of Sustainable Resources Consulting, and Elaine Mottilla, Senior Vice President, IPM Lead of Jones Lang LaSalle, for their tenure on the USGBC Central Pennsylvania Board.