Call for Volunteers: LEED Committees
Do you have practical experience with the way buildings and communities are designed, constructed, and operated around the globe? Are you dedicated to advancing best practices in green building and sustainable development?
This call opens June 1, 2020, and the deadline for submissions has been extended to September 11, 2020 at 5:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.
The U.S. Green Building Council calls for self-nominations by qualified applicants to serve as members of the LEED Committees outlined below. While there is no set number of volunteer positions available, we expect to appoint approximately 25 volunteers.
Each volunteer position will be for a first term of one year with an option to continue service in accordance with the following policy: 6.1 Committee and Working Group member terms: Committee members may serve a maximum of four consecutive years, after which they must take a two-year hiatus before being eligible for service on the committee again.
Note that USGBC policy states that individuals may serve on a maximum of three USGBC Committees and two Working Groups at any one time. Any one member organization may not have more than one representative on any one Committee and, except for federal government agencies, may have representatives on a maximum of five Committees and four Working Groups at any one time.
Please see the expertise sought by each committee below.
- Employed by a USGBC member organization.
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the below technical areas.
- Ability to attend at least two-thirds of all committee calls (1 hour in length, 2-3 calls per month), complete offline review and technical work of approximately 2-3 hours per call, and participate in additional calls as necessary.
- LEED Green Associate or LEED Accredited Professional
- Experience with international LEED and green building rating system implementation
How to Submit an Expression of Interest with USGBC
Employees of USGBC member organizations interested in serving on any of the committees described below must complete the LEED Committee Expression of Interest Form online. Please note that USGBC might invite candidates to serve on a committee for which they did not indicate interest based on the candidate’s expertise and the needs of each committee.
Applicable LEED Committee Descriptions
See the LEED Committees webpage for additional information, including committee purpose statements, current rosters, and links to meeting minutes for each committee.
LEED Advisory Committee
The LEED Advisory Committee advises staff and LSC on market and implementation-related issues. It provides expert feedback and insight on how LEED and related tools, resources and programs affect the user experience and market uptake of LEED in maintaining LEED's global leadership and satisfying customer engagement.
The standing call time for the LAC is Tuesday at 12pm ET
Technical Advisory Groups
Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) recommend technical solutions to rating system development and maintenance questions. The groups provide a consistent source of technical advice regarding credit and prerequisite improvement and supporting tool development. TAGs are structured to include expertise for specific technical issues: Energy and Atmosphere (EA), Indoor Environmental Quality (EQ), Location and Planning (LP), Materials and Resources (MR), Sustainable Sites (SS), and Water Efficiency (WE). The role and responsibilities of the TAGs are detailed in their purpose statement.
Standing call times for TAGs are as follows:
- Tuesday at 4pm ET (EQ TAG)
- Wednesday at 12pm ET (LP TAG)
- Wednesday at 2pm ET (SS TAG)
- Thursday at 11am ET (WE TAG)
- Thursday at 1pm ET (MR TAG)
- Thursday at 3pm ET (EA TAG)
Selection Criteria for LEED Committee Members
The committees open for applications seek, at minimum, the following specific areas of expertise. Candidates may indicate additional expertise beyond these areas in their expression of interest form.
LEED Advisory Committee (LAC)
- GHG Accounting
- Property Manager/Owner
- LEED Consultant
Energy & Atmosphere Technical Advisory Group (EA TAG)
- Energy Modeling
- Demand Response
- Residential energy (Multifamily & Single Family)
- Utility owners and operators
- Distributed energy resources
- Existing Buildings
- Energy codes and standards, legislation, and enforcement
Indoor Environmental Quality Technical Advisory Group (EQ TAG)
- Acoustic Design
- Lighting Design and control
- Human Health
- Indoor Air Quality Performance
Location & Planning Technical Advisory Group (LP TAG)
- Existing Buildings/facilities manager
- Transportation Demand Management/Performance metrics
- Electric Vehicles
- Environmental Planning/Brownfield Redevelopment
- Affordable Housing/Equity
- Parking Management/Parking Facility Design
- Multimodal Planning and Design
- Transit Service Planning
- Experience with Warehouse and Distribution centers/Schools/Campus projects
- Local/Regional Planning
Materials & Resources Technical Advisory Group (MR TAG)
- Whole Building and product LCA frameworks (US and International)
- Material health and product specification
- Interior Design
- Facility/Operational Waste Management
- General Contracting
Sustainable Sites Technical Advisory Group (SS TAG)
- Green infrastructure engineer
- Plant and Soil Sciences/Landscape Architecture
- Biodiversity/Ecosystem Services
- Resilience and Adaptation expert
Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group (WE TAG)
- Net zero water building design and operations
- Water quality: onsite treatment and reuse
- Utility owners and operators
- Water code and standards, legislation, and enforcement
- Water balance modeling
- Mechanical and Plumbing Engineer